Which hybrid

skybie
skybie Posts: 59
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
I am looking for a ladies hybrid bike to use for work, it's about 7 miles, i am using my Scott aspect MTB for now.
I have looked at the Boardman fi hybrid and the Marin corte madera.
I am only 5'2 so need a small or xs frame.
Does anyone have any opinons on either bike or something different to look at?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Marin is pretty basic for the money. That said the Boardman isn't the best valuw I have seen either, though both are fairly light. From the two, I'd go for what fits you best.
  • Both my wife and I have Boardman Hybrid Comp's - happy with these, but we got them when they were a little cheaper (£450 or £499 I think) than they are currently (£549 - which, I agree with Supersonic, seems expensive for the spec (and its not often you say that about Boardman!)

I don't know what else is new out there, but reckon that if you looked on ebay, you'd pick up a 6-12 month old Boardman for a lot less than new price; that would then make it good value, eg this ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Fi-H ... 3cc983aa05
    or this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boardman-Wome ... 19d3f46e14

My wife is similar size to you; from memory, she went for the medium fi version, which kind of equates to the small 'mens' bike.

Good luck
  • skybie
    Thank you for advice. I am going to take a look round see what else is about i want to make sure i get the right one
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If buying from Halfords then wait until an offer is on - there is 10% off every few weeks. There is £40 off right now.

Plus join British Cycling with basic membership, use the TforL code to get membership half price and pay by direct debit for 10% discount - works out £10.80 for a year and gives 10% off at Halfords in addition to any other discount.

So the £549 becomes £509 after the special offer, then becomes £458.90 with the British Cycling discount.

Absolute bargain at that price and a really nice bike. The Team version is even better though and could be yours for £611.99 with the £70 off and British Cycling discount.
  • skybie
    That sounds really good, amazing discount thanks.
    I have now had a look at the Scott sportster 60 and the ghost cross 5100.
    Anyone got any views?