Resin or sintered pads??

rob39
rob39 Posts: 479
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
whats the difference between sintered and resin pads? I currently have resin pads on my shim m596 which came with them.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sintered are harder wearing but not quite as grippy. Normally. Better for wet gritty conditions.
    Kevlar are somewhere in between.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Super star Kevlar red looks pimp. Although red is not the colour for this job.
  • I have noticed zero difference between sintered and kevlar so far. I thought I did at 1st, but i've put that down to purely being new pads.
  • Chunkers1980
    Me neither really. Seems to be wearing well. 25p per set over sintered is worth it just for the red.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Me neither really. Seems to be wearing well. 25p per set over sintered is worth it just for the red.

What's a slow colour?! :lol:

+1 for kevlar though i've never tried superstars sintered pads.
  • Chunkers1980
    It's not black judging from the Olympics.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Well if its any use to anyone my first set Superstar Kevlar pads were only 2 months old and working really well...until i went up Cwmcarn in torrential rain. Within 2 minutes of setting off, both discs were scraping on the pads with that fine, but wet, dust that comes up off the track at trail centres. By the time i had gotten to the bottom with constant pad scrape for a few hours, both sets of pads had worn down to the metal and there was literally no material left for braking! I'm not sure how sintered pads would have faired but as far as I am aware the Kevlar are softer and less hard wearing, they just have more power.

Heres a pic of the rear pads just after the ride:

IMG_1075.jpg

Don't get me wrong the are still brilliant pads, they just do not fair too well when torrential rain and trail centre dust is combined.
  • Hmm.. My kevlars are lasting fine round cc! Even on the DH.