Trek Fuel Frames - Are they the same Ex5 to EX9?

Jenny Taylia
Jenny Taylia Posts: 269
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi.

I'm looking to swap my GT Aggressor XCR Hard Tail for a Trek Fuel EX? full sus and then add my existing XT gearing and extras that I've got on my Aggressor, so it's really only the frame of the Trek that I'm interested in.

Now obviously an EX5 is way cheaper than an EX9 but if the frame weighs the same, that's ok by me as I guess the price difference will be in the components.

Does anyone know if there are any changes in the frames along the range from the EX5 up to the EX9 and if so, what?
(For instance, I know that on the GT Aggressor XC range, the XC3 & XC2 share the same frame, the XC1 has a lighter frame and the XCR has the lightest frame of all)

I've tried my LBS and they say they think that they are all the same but on inspection, they have different geometry, so my trust of their advice has diminished! :shock:

Any help / advice appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The Ex5 is the older frame, so it's similar, but not quite the same.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what year? Trek lists the changes for their current ones on their webby.

http://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en/bikes/mo ... el_ex_7_e#

the 7 up has a different rear end....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    Different front end too, no internal cables etc, as said, it's the older 8/9 frame.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Different front end too, no internal cables etc, as said, it's the older 8/9 frame.

I would assume external cables are better, in that they are easier to replace, though more open to the crud.

Any thoughts anyone?
  • nicklouse wrote:

Thanks for that, I've checked their webby but I'm potentally looking at 2009 / 2010 models.

I don't really want the tapered head stock though, as I want to use my current recons, so in the current line-up, it looks like the EX6 takes the std steerer tube.

Anyone know if the 2009/10 Fuel EX7 or EX8 take std fork tubes?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Fit a reducer head set and your forks will work in a tapered head tube.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nicklouse wrote:

Thanks for that, I've checked their webby but I'm potentally looking at 2009 / 2010 models.

I don't really want the tapered head stock though, as I want to use my current recons, so in the current line-up, it looks like the EX6 takes the std steerer tube.

Anyone know if the 2009/10 Fuel EX7 or EX8 take std fork tubes?

Sorry but where was that info in the original post? But again looked in treks archive?

But as above no reason to not use your fork in a tapered head tube.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ive got an ex 9 trek
    With tapered head tube however you can use standard 1/8 steerer,
    Have a ganders on the bay seen a ex8 frame and rear shock go for £300 which is cheap
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My guess would be a 9 has a better rear shock than a 5 as well - No?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    Aye, you get the DCRV shock on the 9.
    I would assume external cables are better, in that they are easier to replace, though more open to the crud.

In this instance the 'better' frame comes with internal - so they're marketing it as a better thing, keeps things quieter, stops your paint getting damaged, but makes cable replacement more of a faff, IME it makes no difference to cable longevity. I'd not be swayed either way, my Top Fuel is the most user friendly internal-cabled bike I've worked on, the old Kleins used to be horrific!