Osgood Schlatter syndrome

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited September 2012 in Commuting chat
so this has flared up now, meaning I've had a very painful limp for a week now.

Does anyone else get this as an adult (mainly only teenagers get it) and does cycling, especially fixed, make it worse?

Its very painful :cry:

Comments

• stuyd
    stuyd Posts: 207
    How do you know its Osgood? If you have self diagnosed over the internet, there is a high chance you will be wrong. If not the person who diagnosed it should offer treatment and advice. Key points are rest from concentric exercise programme and embark on a quad stretching programme and glutes strengthening programme. It can't be resolved if you continue with the aggravating factor. But as I said as an adult there are many other thing that are probably more likely i.e. anterior knee pain/ tendonitis just to name to that I would be looking into.

On a positive note, Osgood will do you no harm it's just uncomfortable. Stretch a bit more and focus on other muscle groups for a few weeks and it will disappear.
    time to man up.
  • clarkey cat
    Cheers - I was diagnosed as a kid and it has never really gone away. Usually it just feels like a weak watery knee with pain in the 'bump' but sometimes it flares up and I can't do anything.

I definitely need to be more disciplined with stretching...

Other than Im just doing RICE and taking strong painkillers.
    Just I know that sometimes riding fixed I feel like Im putting my knees through the mincer but that discomfort is more muscular, just wondered if it could trigger off the Osgoods.
  • stuyd wrote:
    How do you know its Osgood?

CC can now balance his balls on his knee

article-0-040F65F20000044D-264_468x555.jpg
    Other than Im just doing RICE

I can imagine that would make you feel better...

550w_ds_icons_anneka_rice_2.jpg

Sorry, I'm not helping much am I?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • Sure it's Osgood Schlatter and not something else?

I had it as a teenager and have a lovely bump under my left knee. Was painful for about 6 months to a year or so because I didn't stop doing athletics and things while I had it. However I have never had a problem since it settled down. As far as I am aware the lump is just a permanent bony growth that shouldn't be painful as an adult once the bone has finished growing.
  • clarkey cat
    yes it is OS syndrome, I've had it since I was 13 from doing too much sport. I'm 32 now. I have the bumps too, periodically they swell up and become very painful. Its not uncommon for it to continue into adulthood. Paul Scholes suffers, I believe.

WBW - that is very helpful, thanks. Forgot what a babe Annika is.
  • so this has flared up now, meaning I've had a very painful limp .

A very painful limp what? :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • skybie
    skybie Posts: 59
    My daughter has it since she was about 7, she has lumps under both knees and they are so painful. She played football until she was 15 then had to give it up, she has been to hospital so many times and they tried many things including strapping them and even spoke about trying to remove the lumps and re-lining the bone but at the end of the day they said she will just have to live with it. She is 21 now and does no sports at all it's a really shame.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    Wasn't Osgood Schlatters one of the people on "Who's Line is it Anyway"?

Not sure that once the bones have fused it is still classified as Osgoods, but mine never got better either. Was the reason I gave up squash and running and went for non-impact sports. As far as I can tell, Rafa Nadal has it and Owen Hargreaves has it.

Its tendonitis. Treat it as tendonitis. Other than ice and heat/cold cycles, massage and all that jazz, to give the tendon some relief, make sure you stretch the quads. If they are tight you can make a difference in a fairly short time. In the short term, its possible to tape across the knee above the bone spur, again to give the tendon a bit of a rest - like trapping the string of a guitar on a fret. Feels weird though.

And give up running, if you run. Minimise impact sports while its sore, if you do any, including hiking.

I found out about Speedplays back in the 90's in order to give my knees an easier time cycling. I refused to do squats and other "high leverage" actions which would stress the knee tendon, when I was rowing. I think I naturally turned into a spinny cyclist as a result, as well. Mine are pretty bad, but they do continue to settle as you get through your 30's and I don't think about my knees any more. When I was younger, all of the above kept it in check.

And in answer to your questions regarding riding fixed - yes. Its a stupid fad in the first place, but in my experience anything which puts huge strain on your quads will risk the tendon flaring up All that strain is being transmitted through the tendon, because that's the muscle's anchor into the bone.
  • clarkey cat
    First Aspect - thanks, that is hugely helpful.

Its a little bit better today. I still cant bend my leg but its not as painful as it was - I took the day off yesterday and just elevated it with an ice-pack all day.

I've just sold my fixie as I didnt think it was helping. Shame - they look cool!

What is this with speedplay system? Will this help do you think - I currently use SPD?

Cheers for your help.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've got this big bony lump at the top of my tibia on the right leg - is that what it is?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    Think that's your knee, KB.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,961
    First Aspect - thanks, that is hugely helpful.

Its a little bit better today. I still cant bend my leg but its not as painful as it was - I took the day off yesterday and just elevated it with an ice-pack all day.

I've just sold my fixie as I didnt think it was helping. Shame - they look cool!

What is this with speedplay system? Will this help do you think - I currently use SPD?

Cheers for your help.
    I don't know if Speedplays help. It certainly helps that I like them.

I have crank bros on the mtb I'm using at the moment and I've used spd's and looks in the past. I find that other pedal systems give you float on the upstroke, but once you put the power through your foot, it stays more or less where it is. With Speedplays, your foot can twist at any point during the pedal stroke. Most people find this incredibly weird at first (hence the Zeros, which include the option to limit the range of angles through which this can happen) and some people never get used to it. However, I noticed when borrowing a set of a friend (attached to the bike I was borrowing) that my pedal stroke had a natural heel wiggle somethere around 6 o'clock. So I figure, if it wants to do that, why not let it?

The bummer with Speedplay cleats is that they are about as easy to walk in as ski boots.

Good luck with the knees - give them some tlc until its back under control, then just don't abuse them and I bet you'll turn round in 5 years and remember that they used to flare up from time to time.
  • clarkey cat
    Cheers - starting to clear up now. Still a bit stiff and have a limp but no longer in agony...

My training for London 2 Paris has taken a bit of a battering though :|
  • So this kept me out of action for 2 weeks, once everything looked okay I got back on the bike and covered 310 miles in 2 weeks to try and get some form ahead of London to Paris (which leaves on Friday) but playing with my son on Monday I banged my knee against the bed and its swollen up again really badly. I've had to pull out of London to Paris. I'm bloody gutted. :cry:
  • Bad luck, Clarkey. Heal up well, though, and you'll be on to bigger and better challenges in future.
  • Thanks UE. I'm eating an iced bun to cheer myself up.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Sorry to hear that, hope it heals quickly. Something cold might help, eat some ice cream after the bun.
  • brie and cucumber now.
  • Bad luck, Clarkey. Heal up well, though, and you'll be on to bigger and better challenges in future.

+1.

I mean what is the worst that could happen?

ONE%20LEG%20CYCLIST-1.jpg
  • that is pretty much how I feel at the moment... well it would be if it wasnt for lovely codeine.

mmmmm.... codeine.
  • here she is... little beauty. (I'm aware I haven't waxed in a while)

408175_10152109305000305_154466359_n.jpg
  • here she is... little beauty. (I'm aware I haven't waxed in a while)

408175_10152109305000305_154466359_n.jpg

That's EXACTLY what I have on my right leg.

It has a name.

I'm going to call it Ozzy for short.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Should have been a fat kid like me.

Just got back from a charity L2P- was trip mechanic and got the roadside rescue van (complete with flashy lights) to drive for the trip. Fun, but supporting 60 riders and providing help for support drivers was exhausting. Absolute credit to some of the riders though, including one who had a quadruple heart bypass in FEBRUARY THIS YEAR, and another guy with diabetes who had a heart attack a year or two ago.

Which L2P was yours going to be CC?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • meant to be doing it for Alzheimers.
    1) London to Portsmouth
    2) Portsmouth to Mont st Julie
    3) then into Paris.
    I'm going to have to pay for all my pre-booked ferry, trains and hotel anyway so maybe I should go as a support mechanic or something. Thats not a bad idea.
  • I'm going to have to pay for all my pre-booked ferry, trains and hotel anyway so maybe I should go as a support mechanic or something
    Don't do it
    Too many men have failed before
    Whatever you do
    Don't pay the ferryman.

Sorry should have posted this in Earworms....
  • meant to be doing it for Alzheimers.
    1) London to Portsmouth
    2) Portsmouth to Mont st Julie
    3) then into Paris.
    I'm going to have to pay for all my pre-booked ferry, trains and hotel anyway so maybe I should go as a support mechanic or something. Thats not a bad idea.

We did (and I rode the past 2 years):
    1) London to Folkestone
    2) Calais to Amiens
    3) Amiens to Versailles

They would really appreciate it I'm sure, and it will be a GREAT experience. Don't expect them to have lots of tools though; I took my kit and ran surgeries am/pm of each day, and provided some moving support on the road.

Real range of ability and issues I saw - everything from "its making a noise can you help" (headset was dry of grease on a new specialized allez) to "the wheel doesn't turn round very well" (this guy turned up with a sheared axle, non existant pads and claimed his bike was 2 months old).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • went to a physio this morning (my first time ever, I thought they were just for people with delusions of being top sportsmen) and oh my god - I feel instantly a hundred times better. Its still a bit tight but I'm walking absolutely fine. Tempted to get the train to Portsmouth and do the France bit... but then again, I have just bought a lovely leg of lamb for Sunday...
  • Osgood Schlatter's is a traction apophysitis of the tibial tubercle in growing children/teenagers.

You can't have it once you are skeletally mature, something else will be causing the pain.
  • Tru dat. I'm getting a proper diagnosis on Monday, however, the last diagnosis I received (aged 13) with respect my engorged tibial tubercle was Osgood Schlatters and the 'lumps' have never gone down nor ever felt totally benign so I'm inclined to believe my current problems are caused by / exacerbated by / related to my teenage problems. Hopefully I can put a name to a face / knee on Monday.
  • Tru dat. I'm getting a proper diagnosis on Monday, however, the last diagnosis I received (aged 13) with respect my engorged tibial tubercle was Osgood Schlatters and the 'lumps' have never gone down nor ever felt totally benign so I'm inclined to believe my current problems are caused by / exacerbated by / related to my teenage problems. Hopefully I can put a name to a face / knee on Monday.

I dare you to go to the doctors with a face drawn on it.