mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm off on a jaunt up to Edinburgh in October for my mates 30th for a few days

any recommendations of places to visit?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Climb Arthurs Seat, drop down t'other side and walk up Royal Mile, getting fudge on the way.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    That fudge is incredible...

Also, there's a place that does really good hog roast's. Anyone know the name?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mudcow007
    sweet, i love a good fudge

are the pubs an bars any good?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    mudcow007 wrote:
    sweet, i love a good fudge

Pretty much all of them. It is Festival time and will be heaving.
    Up market - look at George Street. More down to earth - The Grassmarket.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • wear a kilt and post a pic. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Burke and Hare? :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • k1875
    k1875 Posts: 485
    Festival madness will have calmed down by October, but still plenty to do and see.

Sounds touristy and a bit of a cliche, but go to the Castle. I was there a couple of months ago for the first time since School and thoroughly enjoyed the day out. Cover your ears a few seconds before one o'clock though. Plus, if the plan goes ahead for the TDF to come to Edinburgh and finish on the Castle esplanade, you'll be able to say you've been there !

I think the Hog Roast place referred to earlier may be "oink". If so, this is on Victoria Street, a stones throw from the many, many pubs in the Grassmarket. You will not struggle to find a place to drink in Edinburgh, no matter what time of the day or night.

Edinburgh's brilliant, you'll have a great time.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I read "for a few days" as "in a few days". :oops:

Comments re George Street and the Grassmarket still stand though.
    Plan for it being cold, wet and windy. Much like July, but worse. :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mudcow007
    muchass grassyarse!!

thanks all, ive never been so really looking forward to it, we were all going to go up dressed like william wallace (sounded like a good idea in the pub) but i think we might give it a miss

the hog roast place sounds like a winner
  • We went up last August and had some recommendations on here for food / drink places and I've found the thread so may be worth having a look :
    viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12793436&hilit=henderson%2A

We really liked Urban Angel and Iglu (both of which were bike radar recommendations - thanks guys).

Think there were quite a few pub recommendations too but as we were with mother in law etc, we didn't get stuck in.
  • +1 for Urban Angel...

Also if sightseeing, do the undercity tour http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,963
    For good pubs/bars, avoid the Royal Mile and head towards the Princes St. to George Street area (will make sense if you look on th map). If you like a view while you walk off a hangover, head towards the Braid Hills and the Royal Observatory - probably the best view of the city.

Couple of nice bars around the Canal Basin now, and there are some pubs down along the river in Leith which are supposed to be worth the trip.

Of course there is also the first Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op by the Meadows. Got to go there, surely?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    mudcow007 wrote:

Holyrood 9A is one of my favourite pubs. Local (decent) craft beers and a really decent Bohemian Burger. The beer's not particularly cheap though.

Disclaimer: I'm a "real ale"-type of drinker. I'd grow a beard if I could.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I went up to Edinburgh last year and met up with Undercover Elephant for a lunchtime beer on the beachfront in Portobello. Yes, beach. Proper sand and everything.

A nice sunny day at the beach talking bikes with a fellow forumite over beers. In Scotland?!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I went up to Edinburgh last year and met up with Undercover Elephant for a lunchtime beer on the beachfront in Portobello. Yes, beach. Proper sand and everything.

A nice sunny day at the beach talking bikes with a fellow forumite over beers. In Scotland?!

Yes, a perfect day to nip out for a lunchtime pint. The Espy in Portobello is a great place on a sunny day, even made the family take me there on my birthday. :)

Sounds like Mudcow will be having an entourage in tow though, so he'll probably not have time.
  • mudcow007

Sounds like Mudcow will be having an entourage in tow though, so he'll probably not have time.

aye, well there is only 4 of us, two of them being the burds, but we are planning on the girls going to a spa day, an me an my drinking buddy will sample as many fine ale establishments as possible
  • Hmmm... what kind of ale establishments are your favourite?