Constant noise on higher (largest) chainring - 105 groupset

2»

Comments

• My 105 drive train was noisy at first when I was using normal 3 in 1 oil from halfords as lube, since I have started using better lube the drive train is so much quieter.
  • jimmm
    jimmm Posts: 202
    Nice - I was actually looking to buy some chain cleaner and lube (along with other cleaning/maintenence stuff) off the Internet tonight - so hopefully this will help with the noise.

Is there any lubes that are recommended? I was thinking of buying Finish Line Dry Teflon Lubricant? Anyone have any experience with this product? Or should I be looking at a wet lube because of the unpredictable English weather?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i think for peace of mind, i would get it into the bike shop asap. probably nowt to worry about but better safe than sorry
  • jimmm
    jimmm Posts: 202
    It was briefly looked over by the bike shop last week - when I say briefly I mean a couple of minutes - and they gave it a quick ride around the block to see what they think. They adjusted the front derailleur barrel adjuster slightly as they said the cables had stretched - as they will with any new bike. I'm guessing everything is fine otherwise they would have picked up on it and kept the bike in. As mentioned before - it is probably an OCD thing!

If the noise remains after I've given it a lube I'll take it into the LBS for another check on Saturday - as I am planning a 30 miler that day - and don't want anything going wrong if I'm far away from anywhere!
  • lancj1
    lancj1 Posts: 38
    jimmm wrote:

If the noise remains after I've given it a lube I'll take it into the LBS for another check on Saturday - as I am planning a 30 miler that day - and don't want anything going wrong if I'm far away from anywhere!

I am new to my road bike, about 400 miles in, and I do get gear adjustment having messed with mountain bike gears. I notice the noise more on the road bike - my front mech is sora. I cleaned my chain the other day, and lubed it well with Halfords dry lube, and the "noise" isn't half as noticable.

I'm a clean it with WD40 and lube it with 3 in 1 - passed down from father to son, but the purpose made (or relabelled....) chain lube seems quite effective
    Btwin Triban 3
    Giant Boulder '08
    Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter