Nobby Nic frm Bike Discount, Germany

Jasra
Jasra Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Nobby Nic frm Bike Discount, Germany

The above order was delivered at 12:11 hours local time. I immediately fitted the tire and inflated to 3.0 bar. The wheel has not been fitted to the bike and the tire has a manufacturing defect in the tyre wall with two small holes. (Please see picture attached with holes marked with yellow chalk). I asked for an URGENT replacement tyre and confirmation by email. H&S Bike Discount are not replying and their Claims extension has been busy for two days! Caveat Emptor my friends.

Phillip Carr

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    So what's the message? You waited three years to post a moan about a defective tyre? I'm sure for every Nobby Nic user and bike-discount shopper there are thousands of good stories.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • 1980jj
    1980jj Posts: 22
    Sorry mate but I ordered 2 nobby nics, they are fine? May be you just got unlucky? We're they folded type?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doubt he'll be back until the next whine and run.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Whats that great about that site anyway? Am I missing something?

Limited stock and mostly more expensive than CRC.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Tim.s wrote:
    Whats that great about that site anyway? Am I missing something?

Limited stock and mostly more expensive than CRC.

What's great about it is quite a lot of things are cheaper! The main thing being the tyres! Their bikes (Radon) are also very well specced for the price.
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the last year, their postage has been as quick or quicker than many uk sellers, and the prices much cheaper (£140 for front and back xt brakes for example)

I'd argue that most things are dearer than crc and id say that pretty often the stuff for sale is considerably cheaper than british vendors
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • waby1234
    I never understand these random whines, waste of everyones time unless there actually is a useful point.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Whats with the recent noob influx, did the commuter forum raise their special needs entry requirements?
  • waby1234
    Whats with the recent noob influx, did the commuter forum raise their special needs entry requirements?

Everyone has been new at some point. No need for that kind of comment.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I know, and i know for a fact i was equally retarded ;)
  • cooldad
    I know, and i know for a fact i am equally retarded ;)
    FTFY

It's not newbies, those are good, both for the the forum and cycling in general. But people who sign up, whine about something trivial and dispappear p1ss me off big time.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Ahhh I see now, I found my way to the full lists. What qualifies things for the 'bulky item' postage surcharge? Pair of tyres?
    "Didn't hurt"
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the OP has been a member on here longer than most of the people commenting in this post.

n00Bs
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Tim.s wrote:
    Ahhh I see now, I found my way to the full lists. What qualifies things for the 'bulky item' postage surcharge? Pair of tyres?
    ?????????????????????????????????????????
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    nicklouse wrote:
    And the OP has been a member on here longer than most of the people commenting in this post.

n00Bs
    True, but two posts in three years?
    A bit like my sex life.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • waby1234
    It says two but its only of if you view the profile.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• cooldad
    I think you meant one, and that's because the first was so long ago it was carved into stone, which is what the internet used to be BITD.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    Tim.s wrote:

I got a pair of tyres, knee pads and a GoPro in a single package with free postage.
  • Sorry about being a "n00b" and this being my first post and everything but I had to add my experiences with Bike Discount.DE

I bought a Radon Sunset 9.0 trekking bike off them for close to a thousand Euro, and it arrived after about 10 days. I built it all up and gave it a quick once over, "assuming" that it had been built with a bit of care and attention. Set off down the road and one of the links in the chain parted, jammed in the rear dérailleur which promptly snapped off, caught in the back wheel and chucked me into the road. Luckily it was late in the evening with no traffic or the lifetime guarantee may have been just that! All that and just 200 metres covered!

Anyway I contacted Bike Discount, sent them some pictures and asked them very nicely what they were going to do about this. I got nothing back and the next time I tried to e-mail them my e-mail had been blocked. I e-mailed from another address and rather angrily asked what they were doing and got that e-mail address blocked. I tried the phone and never got an answer. In the end they won as I just bit the bullet and got the bike repaired off my own back but I would not recommend them to anyone after my experience.

So yeah, n00b makes n00b post moaning about a company everyone else loves, but that's my experience with them.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Until BR instigates a 'rep' system for users, I refuse to believe a word anyone with less than 100 posts says. Above 100 and I'll believe the verbs.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Bought heaps off them, including a Nobby this week, they're quick, cheap and the return I did was easy. You just lucked out it seems.
  • Anyway I contacted Bike Discount, sent them some pictures and asked them very nicely what they were going to do about this. I got nothing back and the next time I tried to e-mail them my e-mail had been blocked. I e-mailed from another address and rather angrily asked what they were doing and got that e-mail address blocked. I tried the phone and never got an answer. In the end they won as I just bit the bullet and got the bike repaired off my own back but I would not recommend them to anyone after my experience.

Your consumer rights will be very similar to the ones we have in the UK. You may have to do a bit of digging, a few phone calls. But don't let them get away with that.

My experience with the site has been the same as most folk, they've been as quick as you like with delivery and cheaper than UK, I bought tyres as well.

Good luck with it. Cheers _Dan.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I bought a Radon Sunset 9.0 trekking bike off them for close to a thousand Euro, and it arrived after about 10 days. I built it all up and gave it a quick once over, "assuming" that it had been built with a bit of care and attention. Set off down the road and one of the links in the chain parted,

Hang on... What's the "assuming" and care and attention about? This wasn't an assembly issue obviously, it's not something they could have prevented. There's a warranty/fit for purpose issue over the chain. However all of what you describe could have been caused by the crash, rather than the cause of the crash.

So, combine possible crash damage, with what strikes me as very poor attitude of faulting their "care and attention" for something they couldn't possibly have prevented, and I'm not too surprised you didn't get far.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Jasra wrote:
    The above order was delivered at 12:11 hours local time. I immediately fitted the tire and inflated to 3.0 bar. The wheel has not been fitted to the bike and the tire has a manufacturing defect in the tyre wall with two small holes. (Please see picture attached with holes marked with yellow chalk). I asked for an URGENT replacement tyre and confirmation by email. H&S Bike Discount are not replying and their Claims extension has been busy for two days! Caveat Emptor my friends.

Is it a tyre designed for tubeless? Are the holes big? Because if the answer to those 2 questions is no, then what's actually wrong with the tyre?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • devildawg
    devildawg Posts: 10
    My experiences with Bike Discount are similar to a lot of comments across the cycling forums. They do sell a number of products at good prices, although not necessarily the best available online. The catch is after sales service, where they are generally just not interested. I bought a top of the range Radon Black Sin XC race MTB, which has a very good spec for the price. Unfortunately they have clearly cut corners on the frame manufacture, and it failed after 4 days of normal riding. As with many other customers they have refused to honour a warranty replacement. I massively regret not buying a quality product from a reputable brand.
    When something appears to be too good to be true, it usually is!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Are you going to explain the obvious deep scratches around the crack which kind of suggest crash damage?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Are you going to explain the obvious deep scratches around the crack which kind of suggest crash damage?

He seems strangely reluctant to discuss the non crash induced scratches, doesn't he...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe it's just a coincidence that the fatal crack is surrounded deep, nasty looking scratches. I guess we will never know.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Maybe he tried to buff out the crack witha bit of sandpaper?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.