folding bikes yay or nay or buy and sell

samsbike
samsbike Posts: 942
edited September 2012 in Commuting general
My company is joining cyclescheme. Which is good as I can get some good commuting gear cheaper, but I need to buy a bike and there is nothing I really want or indeed, need.

Out of desparation I tried a folding bike but am not sure where I would use it except to potter to the shops and with the toddlers. Its probably more easier with them but I just find myself buying something for the sake of something.

Anyway have a folding bike and do they find it useful? If so, why?

My other option is to get a specialized allez or something and simply flog it on the forums, splitting the saving with any propestive purchaser.

any advice, comments (useful) appreciated.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I bought a folder - I hardly ever use it. It has proved to be a bit of a waste of money.
  • I got a Brompton nearly 10 years ago. As I can't take a full size bike on the train in to work it's been brilliant. And it's good if I'm returning a car/van or are away on holiday and me and the (disabled) Mrs fancy a trip out on a long walk as she was her scooter.

HMRC have quite specific rules on selling your bike as people (Rolls Royce?) got found out obviously abusing the system

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim21667a.htm
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    So in order to get 'gear' cheap you are willing to waste a few hundred pounds on a bike you do not want or need?

Anyone else think this is stupid?
  • samsbike
    samsbike Posts: 942
    I am not sure whether I need it or not. It would be nice to have a cheap bike to go with the kids, as I would not want to leave my road or mtb lying around when we go to the park etc. So in some ways it makes sense. I also like the idea that its space efficient in terms of being in the garage and fitting it into the boot of a mpv.

Like all things I am just don't know if I will use it when I get it, but I am warming to the whole thing.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I have a Brommie, same circumstances as above - cycle-train-cycle commute and only folders allowed. Also use it a bit for dropping car off for service or to pop back next morning for the car if we've left it at the pub or friends house as both drinking. I've had more use out of the Brommie than any other bike, i bought it 10 odd years ago on the cycle to work scheme when it was more generous. Other bikes I've bought second hand.

I also agree with Twelly, buying a bike to save a bit on clothes is daft. Just keep an eye on the sales.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • I use to use and still have a montague paratrooper folder that served my needs very well, but now I get up earlier and take my road bike on the train and get off 3/4 of the way in and commute the rest of the 25 miles a day. the only useful thing for a folder is that I can take it on a train anytime of the day and night if I needed to get home quicker than normal, otherwise I would have to wait till 19:00 before I could take my road bike on the train at night at the London end of the station
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    +1 for Brompton! I too have part of my commute on a train and for this it's ideal. Don't be put off thinking a Brompton's only good enough to 'pop to the shops' either. There is a huge range of types and gearing to select from and many Brompton owners have raced, toured and even completed LEJOG, as well as the more familar commuting.

Red Brompton S6L
  • p9uma
    p9uma Posts: 565
    I bought a folder - I hardly ever use it. It has proved to be a bit of a waste of money.

Is it a Brompton? Do wanna sell it?
    Trek Madone 3.5
    Whyte Coniston
    1970 Dawes Kingpin
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    It is a Dahon Vitesse. PM if you're interested.

405154_10151469339780305_582294301_n.jpg
  • I am a bit surprised no one has picked up on this, but to determine Fair Market Value my C2W company required good quality pictures of all angles of the bike to be emailed. This could be problematic if you have flogged it a year earlier. If your going down this route, and are genuine about the gear, and are not doing this just to get in effect a low interest loan :D ..... then get a really cheap bike plus clothes...you don't have to buy a 1k bike
    Btwin Triban 3
    Giant Boulder '08
    Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter