Different tire widths between front tire and rear tire?

bikingjohn
bikingjohn Posts: 202
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I'm just in MTB reign with a 2nd-hand RZ One Twenty 2. The bike came with a pair of Kenda Dred Tread 1.8.

What if I swap the front with a Nobby Nic 2.25? How does it affect the handling?

Many thanks.
2015 Trek Domane 4.5 Disc
http://chup.info/c/tag/trek/

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd change both, that's a pretty narrow tyre for a bike of that ilk!

No issues having different width tyres, they're doing totally different jobs. Having a wider tyre up front will give you more control unless it's very muddy.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    It's very common to have a wider tyre up front, since it's the one you "need" most traction on.
    The rear one is often skinnier, so that you can put the power down more efficiently (less tyre squirm, less drag etc)
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Someone may try and tell you a wider front tyre helps with handling but I personally think that bull.

I'd change them both 1.8 tyres are soooooooo last century.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Stick some 2.1's on and it will be fine.

Personally not sold on the bigger tyre on the front thing :? , running a tyre at the correct pressure and finding a tyre with a tread pattern that works with your trail conditions and getting it in a decent compound will make a bigger difference.

I have had a few comments on here because i run a bigger rear tyre, my reason is i like the extra cushioning because i ride a hardtail and also im a big lad and i hate getting snake bites on the rear :roll:.
    Blood, Sweat and 21 Gears...wait...no 27....30...arse 2x10?

Specialized Hardrock, 1997 Marin Nail Trail - current
    Giant Glory Merlin Malt 2 Big Hit Expert Marin B-17 Marin Nail Trail Diamondback Topanga - Gone but not forgotten
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Bigger tyre up front. As yeehaa says (unless you want to soften the feel on the rear especially). Yes, you need to find the right tyre for you, but you'll usually want more traction up front and less rolling resistance on the rear.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    There's a comprehensive write up of pretty much all the info you will need on tyres here:

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

About 3/4 of the way down the page he has a couple paragraphs about the pros/cons of having a wider tyre front/rear.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    have a wider front tyre ( rubber queen bc) and a less wide one on rear.

no room to fit anything beyond 2.1 on the rear, would love to but.....
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5