sending a mountain bike via courier

lordmerchant
lordmerchant Posts: 378
edited August 2012 in MTB general
this has probably been covered lots, I've done a quick search on forums and Google but am getting stuck in a perpetual loop!! I am sorted for wrapping package (box from LBS) I'm having trouble finding a courier for the bloody thing I have been to various sites for a "quick quote" and they are anything but!! After entering my info (various times) on shiply.com and uship.com I am told parcel dimensions are too large or quotes will be mailed to me (no luck there - checked spam etc)

There has to be somebody here who has done this recently, who did you use how much did it cost - my dimensions are

weighing in at 14kg-ish, dimensions of 170cm length, 25 width, 100 height

Comments

• never mind, no good at forum search but got it with google eventually, paisley freight do a bike deliveryand are very reasonable it seems
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Erm, pretty obvious choice - parcelforce? Yeah there's horror stories, but they're probably the biggest courier company in the UK so there's bound to be. I've never had any problems, touch wood.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • chazkayak
    chazkayak Posts: 193
    Im in Germany and have sent various sized parcels from mountainbike to snow board size, no problems.

I used companies like Parcelforce, GLS, HermesPacketshop, they all have different rates for different sizes so worth considering all options. GLS are quite reasonable.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    DPD, they do all of on-one's stuff
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I used paisley freight (who use TNT) and the service was spot on. Cheapest I could find too, parcelforce wanted about £40 versus paisleys £21.
  • Third for paisley. Plus they don't need sizes, just tick bike!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I try and cram them into the smallest boxes I can - wheels off etc. Managed to send bikes in 120x70x25 boxes before for less than a tenner with parcel monkey or parcel2go.
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Erm, pretty obvious choice - parcelforce? Yeah there's horror stories, but they're probably the biggest courier company in the UK so there's bound to be. I've never had any problems, touch wood.

I always use parcelforce, partially because they are very good, and partially because we have no alternatives here unless you want to pay a million billion pounds for FedEx or DHL.

I must have used them 5 or 6 times now and have always been very happy with the service. They stick to the time you request collection, and always have it delivered well within the 48hr period.

They do regular parcels, if you can squeeze it in a box no larger than
    Maximum length: 1.5 metres
    Maximum circumfrence: 3 metres

I've found this to be *roughly* the same size as a box for a small framed bike from the likes of spesh and giant. Although you can just hack down a bigger box to make it fit.

Failing that though, for a little extra, you can use a mahoosive box and pay for the 48hr large parcel service, which allows a box up to 2.5m length and 5m combined length and width.

Usually costs about £25 for a 48hr service, collected from my house the day after booking.
  • Abra
    Abra Posts: 338
    unless you want to pay a million billion pounds

Pah. That’s pocket money for a Squallion Jillionaire like me....
    DO MORE OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY