What 2012 XC full sus Light weight bike?

balmybaldwin
balmybaldwin Posts: 127
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I am considering getting a new XC full suspension bike, for mainly forest single track (local areas are Swinley, Pitch hill/Leith hill, south downs etc) tend to do longish rides 20 - 50 miles, and love climbing but like something that is assured and stable at speed. Occasionally I visit trail centres (like once or twice a year) like Bretfa, Cwmcairn etc

I currently have a Cannondale sub 20lb Aluminium hardtail racebike that I've ridden (and upgraded) for the last 15 years and love, but is now past it's prime, and has been relegated to being a commuter - this is the best bike I've owned, and whilst I want to go full sus I still want something similar

About 6 years ago I bought a Spec XC FSR which weighs a ton and I find too much of an AM machine for my taste, it's soggy when pedalling, doesn't handle well, and can't really be chucked around.

I've tried a 29r and I'm not convinced, and will probably prefer a 26r due to their manoeuvrability.

So I'm looking to pick up a bargain in the upcoming 2012 bike sales (Budget in the region of £3K)... what do you wise folk suggest I consider? (I'm trying to get around and test ride a few)

Currently on my list are:
Cannondale Carbon Scalpel
Lapierre X-Flow or maybe Zesty

Any experience of these?

Many Thanks for your help

BB
Bikes:
Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
Pinarello FP2 - Roadie

Comments

• Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I'll get in first with Canyon Nerve XC range, reasonably light and climbs like a mountain goat. Or there's the nerve MR if you want slightly less travel/lighter weight.

Or their new carbon models but I don't know much about them.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Looking at the specs for the Canyons, look like they are worth a viewing... but how do I do that when they only sell direct?

I don't want to part with serious money and have not ridden the bike!
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd put a Zesty in the same camp as an FSR XC. Very different bike to the Scalpel, which is a very racey, almost soft-tail bike.

If you want 26" I'd look at:

Giant Anthem
    Trek Top Fuel
    Scott Spark

That sort of bike is going very much toward 29er now, Spesh don't do and 26" Epics, Trek are dropping the top end Top Fuels for the Superfly 100 etc.

I've got a Top Fuel 9.9, which I love, but I'd buy a 29er if I was buying new now.
  • I can't really advise on many of the bikes as I haven't ridden them, but if you ever go across to Europe, it might be worth trying to find a decent bike shop there. I saved around £500 compared to UK sale price (nearly £800 compared to original price) last year (although that was tax free). Even without that it would have been a fair bit. Some of the German shops usually have really good sales meaning you could probably pick up a 4K bike in the region of 3K. Or even get a 3K for closer to 2 and give you a bit of extra cash for a trip away.

Of course, if you never go to Europe it wont really be worth it unless you can try something in the UK and get it delivered. This wont really help the UK economy too much either.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take a look at this:

http://www.noahsark.co.uk/moda-canon-ca ... -5384.html

or

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... s_id=11899

For a newer model with 10 speed groupset. These are pretty light for this cash, great forks and wheelsets.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Take a look at this:

http://www.noahsark.co.uk/moda-canon-ca ... -5384.html

or

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... s_id=11899

For a newer model with 10 speed groupset. These are pretty light for this cash, great forks and wheelsets.

That Moda one looks like a good spec and a good price, but I think i'm right in saying this is only the second year they've made bikes, and they've not had the best reviews. Having said that a friend has a Moda Road bike he's very happy with so I'll put it on the list of ones to try.
    Bikes:
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I reviewed a Moda Solo for WMB last year, I thought the overall thought of the spec was very good, and couldn't fault the frame quality.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    My mate's just bought an ex demo moda canon, it's lovely. Light and fast. Only had a quick (1 mile or so) ride on it but it was nice.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Giant Anthem
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB