stantheman206 Posts: 106
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there

Just installed the following on my kona caldera;
Xtr shifters
Xtr inner and outer cables
New 9 speed SRAM chain
New slx 9 speed cassttee 11-32

Trouble is that I can't seem to correctly adjust the indexing across the 9 gears whether I'm on the smallest or biggest chain ring. I start off in the smallest cog shift up until I get to the second from last cog and either it won't go up or it will jump 2 gears. I then adjust with the barrel adjuster and start again and it just does seem to be right for all gears, it's driving me made.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Andrew

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    What is the derailleur? is it a SRAM 1:1?
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    What is your rear mech? Is the hanger bent? The guide on park tools is very helpful.
  • assuming the stops are set on the mech, hangers straight then indexing is essentially simple, there is no black art to it like some seem to suggest, it shouldne make any difference what front cog you set it up in, middle is generally easiest as retains a little more chain tension.
    wind all the adjuster you have in to the minimum, then wind it out approximately 1 turn, take up slack in the cable, tighten up the cable clamp bolt, and thats it! you should have the gears indexed, if they are slightly too high or low then you have a little adjustment on the shifter to compensate, (look at the chain on the cogs at the back of the bike, you'll be able to see if its high or low by the angle of the chain leaving the cog)
    if your getting to the point where it stops and then jumps 2 sounds like too much tension on the cable,
    but stand behind the bike and check that your mech is sitting straight on the hanger,
    if it still jumps then restart with a little bit more on the adjuster to be able to loosen a little more, just incase,
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited August 2012
    Read Parktools, then loosen everything off and start again. Do it in the middle chainring, and usable gears in the other two will be fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I wait to see if he has a Shimano mech first.
  • It's a shimano XT 9 speed mech, not sure if the model number but it's around 3-4 years old, it came with the bike.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It's a shimano XT 9 speed mech, not sure if the model number but it's around 3-4 years old, it came with the bike.

Check the hanger and ensure the mech is straight.
    assuming the stops are set on the mech, hangers straight then indexing is essentially simple, there is no black art to it like some seem to suggest, it shouldne make any difference what front cog you set it up in, middle is generally easiest as retains a little more chain tension.
    wind all the adjuster you have in to the minimum, then wind it out approximately 1 turn, take up slack in the cable, tighten up the cable clamp bolt, and thats it! you should have the gears indexed, if they are slightly too high or low then you have a little adjustment on the shifter to compensate, (look at the chain on the cogs at the back of the bike, you'll be able to see if its high or low by the angle of the chain leaving the cog)
    if your getting to the point where it stops and then jumps 2 sounds like too much tension on the cable,
    but stand behind the bike and check that your mech is sitting straight on the hanger,
    if it still jumps then restart with a little bit more on the adjuster to be able to loosen a little more, just incase,

This link is easier! http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... derailleur
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Are the shifters new? Part numbers?

And start again following the park guide.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Possibly the low high limits screws. I'll have a look at the hanger alignment although not too sure how easy it is to see a bent hanger?
  • Chunkers1980
    How is it the lower limit, it makes it to the smallest cog.
  • Ok, the high limit then. I was thinking maybe the new cassette has put it out slightly?
  • Chunkers1980
    That's got even less to do with it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As pointed out twice already, stop fiddling and start again. Set up from scratch.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Check cassette is on properly too
  • Alright alright I start again tomorrow!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    As pointed out twice already, stop fiddling and start again. Set up from scratch.
    This - very very much this. It's not rocket science or brain surgery or any other complicated thing.
    There will be full detailed instructions, step by step on how to set up your indexing, and you will have had these with both the rear mech, and the shifter pod.
    Follow them.
    Job done.
  • howie_74
    howie_74 Posts: 29
    HI, something not mentioned yet on the slightly older XT mechs if the cable loop is too tight that can also not help with indexing you gears... just a thought.