go for end of year 2012 bike or wait for 2013?

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have decided to get a Canyon nerve AM. However I have spoken to canyon uk and they say the 2013 canyons will be revealed at euro bike in a couple of weeks and go on sale shortly after...... My conundrum is do I go for the 2012 Nerve AM which is about 10% off bringing it into my budget. Or should I wait until the 2013 bikes come out incase there are any major frame changes etc????

What would you do????
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Are they sticking with that gorgeous mamba green colour? If not get a 2012 one!
  • They dont do the 9.0 in the lovely mamba green. just stealth black and some silly white and gold :shock:
    But this is the thing until euro bike I wont know any details about the 2013 models............... for all I know the 2013 frames could be covered in scales and faux fur................... :D
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Wait until the 2013 bikes are out, then go and buy the next spec up for 30% off in the sale!

* Edit: Ignore that I didn't realise that Canyon tend not to do the whole 30% off last years model thing
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • I was in your boat last year. Waited a month for the new ones, then waited 14 weeks for it to be delivered. It really was a long time...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I think the consensus is that to maintain price points 2013 bikes will be less well specced than 2012, in which case I'd look at a 2012.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The bike I'm interested in is already 10% off (which is about as good a discount as canyon ever offer I'm led to believe).
    I realise that due to inflation a 2013 bike will undoubtably be slightly more expencieve than a 2012, however ....... I'm worried that there could be some pretty big differences in the bikes that could justify waiting and paying the extra money eg.......
    Isolated shock suspension design (as now found in the new canyon nerve cf)
    12mm bolt through rear axle
    kashima covered shock and fork
    Surely waiting to see if these come on the new bikes would be worth waiting for or paying a few extra quid for (or as it a canyon settling for a slightly down specced drivetrain like a full XT setup as opposed to xtr or x0)
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • There's not much of a difference in spec from year to year.

The tradeoff you make is, do you want to order from what's available now and ride it, or wait weeks for next year's model, and then wait 10 weeks or whatever it is to get it. By this time you''ll be in winter almost and miss out on the lovely dry trails we're having at the moment!

If you've already got a bike you're happy riding then not a problem I guess. You can afford to wait.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If you've decided on a bike, can get it for a good price and you have the money in your pocket...what are you waiting for?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • If you are going for an AM 9.0, i assume from your earlier comment, i would take an educated guess that apart from the 2013 bike coming with FOX ctd suspension and a clutch mech everything else will be much the same as the 2012 model. Brand for brand, spec for spec, but most likely they'll be saving a few quid somewere on a lesser part because of price hikes.

How much do you want ctd and a clutch mech is the question you should ask yourself. Is it worth £350-£400 extra? (considering the sale price of a current 9.0).

It'll all be out of date in 2014 anyway when FOX release electronic suspension widgetry. Maybe you should wait till then.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Canyon Eurobike teaser
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ld8TBUez0s

See anything you like? Might give you an idea of the new 2013 colours
    (Ignore the roadies at the beginning)

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • I would buy now, the euro has been low of late and has just recently started to creep back up. If other manufacturers 2013 models are anything to go by, I can't see you'll get the same spec for the same money. Plus, even if the canyon models are on the website next week, the lead time on them could be weeks away, as is the case with the nerve cf.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    There's not much of a difference in spec from year to year.
    no, but there is still a difference,the 2011 nerve XC/AM 5 disappeared altogether for this year, and specs were changed and tweaked across the board
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Looked at the Eurobike pictures. Looks like the lowest end 29er hardtail they've got is getting a remote lockout. Would go for the Terralogic 9.9 version, but I want a black bike. How sad am I?