Exercise bike vs turbo trainer

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Im looking at getting either a turbotrainer or an exercise bike in the next week or so.
I know the advantages of the turbo are you can use your own bike and so have a correct fit, and you can also take it to events for warm ups.
Was just wondering if there is any other advantage to getting a turbo over an exercise bike?

Also, im going to be training to the sufferfest videos and was wondering how it works on climb simulations (angels video)?
can you stand whilst on the turbo/exercise bike? or is it all seated work?

Cheers

Comments

• ricklilley
    ricklilley Posts: 110
    My experience with Exercise bikes tends to be that without spending a hell of a lot of money, (ie buying a proper gym style one) they are mostly rubbish.

I've been looking at getting at TurboTrainer for the winter months, but my problem is space, i would have to use it in the house. Which the wife won't like at all. I suppose i could put it up in the attic, but that would be awkward getting my bike up and down. Unless of course i had a 2nd bike to put up there with it...
    Specialized Allez sport 2010
    Handsome Dog framed MTB
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    +1 ricklilley - Unless you're going to spend hundreds on a Spin style/Road specific training bike, you're better off getting a turbo - they are hugely beneficial though.

There are a few Turbo Trainers that fold down so you can put them in cupboards and stuff, and take moments to set up.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Thanks for the replies.

Still a bit undecided but more swayed towards the turbo now instead of exercise bike.

Can anyone answer my question about sufferfest and training on a turbo / exercise bike?
    When doing a climbing sufferfest - Angels - can you stand or is it all seated work?

Cheers
  • zekizeki
    zekizeki Posts: 13
    I haven't had any problem standing whilst using a turbo and doing the angels video, that said i do have to make sure I don't rock too much as the wheel is fixed at the rear hub.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    I have both - and the exercise bike sucks. It just feels completely detached from my efforts. It it too tough to spin up, and doesn't roll down like a good turbo does. It just seems like the resistance is too 'constant'. i.e. the momentum you build up on the power bit of the stroke normally carries you over the dead spots without slowing down much. On the exercise bike it feels like 'surge-surge-surge'...

Ive an elite fluid/mag turbo and its much better. Out of the saddle no issues, quiet and folds.