Football, tennis, basketball etc at the 'lympics

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    aclivity wrote:
    Throw horse riding out.
    or, if you allow for a sport that relies more on the animal doing as asked than the human owner / operator being "faster, higher stronger", allow angling as an Olympic sport?

Might as well include crufts.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    aclivity wrote:
    Throw horse riding out.
    or, if you allow for a sport that relies more on the animal doing as asked than the human owner / operator being "faster, higher stronger", allow angling as an Olympic sport?

Please, no-one mention the Olympic snake-charming we've witnessed on the cycling and rowing podiums.
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    aclivity wrote:
    Throw horse riding out.

Please, no-one mention the Olympic snake-charming we've witnessed on the cycling and rowing podiums.

original.jpg

Third in from the right.
  • vermin
    Funnily enough, that's exactly the picture I had in mind, and I've been trying to delete from my mind
  • rick_chasey
    vermin wrote:
    Funnily enough, that's exactly the picture I had in mind, and I've been trying to delete from my mind

I thought you looked a bit over-excited when you arrived at the pub.

Explains a lot.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    vermin wrote:
    Did you see how disrespectful he was towards Laura Robson last night?

I did not see the game, or post interviews, what did he say or do?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • vermin
    Daniel B wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    Did you see how disrespectful he was towards Laura Robson last night?

I did not see the game, or post interviews, what did he say or do?

It was just a bit unfortunate really. I can't transcribe but, in essence, he said "I'm really disappointed at losing. Laura did well in the first set but then missed a few shots and we lost."

A bigger man might have said, (of his 18 year old girl partner ranked number 91 in singles and 296 in doubles), "she was a great team mate with a super future and we have done ever so well to win silver", or similar.

Just sayin'
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Golf. I mean, ffs. There's nothing remotely Olympic about golf. The Olympics conjours up images of humans defying laws of physics, pain, suffering, agony, lying on the ground through the physical effort (a bit like the dude who started this off by running starkers and collapsing at the end of his run). But golf?

The same can be said about other sports and perhaps where that point above of it being the pinnacle of your career applies.

As for men's football, we get enough of that crap for the rest of the year. Can't they spare us for just a couple of weeks?
    Women's football is fine, mind. I think it's because I rarely see it elsewhere.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    cjcp wrote:
    Golf. I mean, ffs. There's nothing remotely Olympic about golf. The Olympics conjours up images of humans defying laws of physics, pain, suffering, agony, lying on the ground through the physical effort (a bit like the dude who started this off by running starkers and collapsing at the end of his run). But golf?

The same can be said about other sports and perhaps where that point above of it being the pinnacle of your career applies.

As for men's football, we get enough of that crap for the rest of the year. Can't they spare us for just a couple of weeks?

+1
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Sketchley wrote:
    vermin wrote:
    Ultimately though, it's BRILLIANT, isn't it! :D

Yes. Apart from the football....

Dunno, the Canada vs. USA women's semi-final just now was pretty good.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • aclivity
    aclivity Posts: 94
    the important thing about these games, the really really important thing, is that the nation that perhaps epitomises the phrase "bad winners" aren't doing so very well at the moment:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08 ... 46529.html

Someone else told me that if you exclude all the swimming medals from the tables (and there are SO MANY, did someone at Olympic paddling HQ decide to use the pool for the full 2 weeks?) then GB&NI have more medals than the US.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Paul E wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

+1

+ another 1. Men's professional football is about as far as it's possible to get from the olympic ethos.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    yes but the women's football has been fantastic!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    vermin wrote:
    aclivity wrote:
    Throw horse riding out.

original.jpg

Third in from the right.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/olympics/commen ... is/c5pe78q

He went onto Reddit to face the accusations! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/olympics/commen ... is/c5pe78q

He went onto Reddit to face the accusations! :lol:

OUTSTANDING.