2016 UCI world championships in Qatar

ilm_zero7
ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
edited August 2012 in Pro race
Brace yourself for a hot race...

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/a ... rent_id=56

It was 36 degrees and 61% humidity at 6 am this morning, but in September it will be much better but still 38 mid day
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

Comments

• I can't help but feel that any sporting event held in the Gulf is just purely an exercise in money making. The area has no sporting culture to speak of, certainly not in cycling, and produces no notable athletes.

I feel the same about cicket, football, F1 etc played there too. Not real sport.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ilm_zero7
    Actually you're quite wrong..... They are mad on football in Qatar and want to use their spending power to promote sport at all levels.

Clearly too, someone in authority has a real passion for cycling. Maybe not as a participant, but the support they give it he in respect of the pro tour exceeds any financial gain for sure, so it is hardly a commercial venture. It's not money making, it's money loosing. True they are buying prestige and kudos, but why is that any different to towns on the tour de France route paying to have the route start or stop there?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Unless they get some serious wind, that's going to be the worst worlds for decades.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    British Cycling starting Project Rainbow Jersey MkII this morning then?
  • ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Actually you're quite wrong..... They are mad on football in Qatar and want to use their spending power to promote sport at all levels.

Clearly too, someone in authority has a real passion for cycling. Maybe not as a participant, but the support they give it he in respect of the pro tour exceeds any financial gain for sure, so it is hardly a commercial venture. It's not money making, it's money loosing. True they are buying prestige and kudos, but why is that any different to towns on the tour de France route paying to have the route start or stop there?

I take it back about football then, and I can't blame the governments. The difference for me is sporting organisations chasing money to showcase a product where there is little interest. Especially given the rather cursory attitude that various gulf states have to represenative democracy and human rights.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    They must have picked Qatar for the guaranteed huge crowds at the finish....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhT1yyQ3ZqI

Is this really the best place the UCi can find to help promote the popularity and take-up of cycling outside Europe?
  • rick_chasey
    FJS wrote:

Is this really the best place the UCi can find to help promote the popularity and take-up of cycling outside Europe?

Good stage that one.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    FJS wrote:

Good stage that one.
    I'd not seen that before. Great stuff. Love watching Cancellara and Boonen going toe-to-toe :mrgreen:

The 10 people that did turn out for the finish didn't look all that excited about it though did they?
  • rick_chasey
    Graeme_S wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Good stage that one.
    I'd not seen that before. Great stuff. Love watching Cancellara and Boonen going toe-to-toe :mrgreen:

If the wind picks up, it's always a good race.

Unfortunately, when it doesn't...
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    yes the wind is the main issue and then turns the world championships into a lottery.

I've no problem with going to new areas but i'm not sure this is the right choice
  • ilm_zero7
    Unless they get some serious wind, that's going to be the worst worlds for decades.
    Serious wind !! Holy Cow. You have never seen winds like it on bad days, and I think they cancelled a day in the women's tour this year because of wind.

And the plan is to build a mountain, it was part of the Olympic 2020 bid for the mountain biking events, given that there is now an Olympic 2024 bid, I am sure it could be ready :)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    I can't help but feel that any sporting event held in the Gulf is just purely an exercise in money making. The area has no sporting culture to speak of, certainly not in cycling, and produces no notable athletes.

I feel the same about cicket, football, F1 etc played there too. Not real sport.

Did you not see their entrant in the Olympic heptathlon? :lol:
  • Pross wrote:
    I can't help but feel that any sporting event held in the Gulf is just purely an exercise in money making. The area has no sporting culture to speak of, certainly not in cycling, and produces no notable athletes.

Missed that. A graduate of Aspire Academy?

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Missed that. A graduate of Aspire Academy?

First female athlete from Qatar to compete I believe, dressed conservatively as you would expect, settled down in starting blocks for the heptathlon hurdles, came out of the blocks like a kid at school sports day and pulled up with a hamstring injury after 5m - Games over!
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Pross wrote:
    First female athlete from Qatar to compete I believe, dressed conservatively as you would expect, settled down in starting blocks for the heptathlon hurdles, came out of the blocks like a kid at school sports day and pulled up with a hamstring injury after 5m - Games over!

No different to the Jamaican guy in the Men's 100M Final last night then! ;)
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Pross wrote:

Well, one of the Jamaican guys.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    This race should come to Ireland.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • sherer
    what are the other venues up to 2016. Know about this year but where else is it going
  • FJS
    Limburg (Netherlands) 2012; Florence 2013; Ponferrada (Spain) 2014; Richmond (US) 2015
  • What a rubbish place to go cycle!

Great scenery, if you like sandy deserts!

Probably won't bother watching it, I don't like deserts and for me, half the fun of watching the big races is seeing the scenery, or lack of it in Qatar.

Obviously wanting to attract attention with grabbing the 2022 world cup over the aussies.
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Apart from he'd already run several qualification rounds and 80m of the race. This was a ground breaking moment in Qatar's sporting history and she lasted 5m!
  • Pross
    FJS wrote:
    Limburg (Netherlands) 2012; Florence 2013; Ponferrada (Spain) 2014; Richmond (US) 2015

It's about time the UK tried for it again but by 2017 I suspect cycling will have stopped being such a novelty again.
  • sherer
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Apart from he'd already run several qualification rounds and 80m of the race. This was a ground breaking moment in Qatar's sporting history and she lasted 5m!

To be fair I think she was already injured and just wanted to see how far she could get and infortunately the injury was too bad to go on
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Fat Pat gets a wad of money from the Qataris to bring the race there. Standard UCI procedure.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:

It's about time the UK tried for it again but by 2017 I suspect cycling will have stopped being such a novelty again.
    Would be great. No problem finding a fitting city, good route, and enthusiastic crowds for the weekend events. It's the closed roads for the rest of the week's events that might be the problem. But perhaps this is the moment for BC to capitalise on a short period of public goodwill...
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    FJS wrote:
    Should have given it to South America (Argentina, or maybe Venezuela).
    Or China.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    You'd think that the UK really ought to try and host this again, what with all the good publicity the sport has been getting recently.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • sherer
    looks like 2017 at the earliest and by then the popularity could be on the wane
  • FJS
    The decision for 2017 would be taken next year though, and bids should normally start to be prepared soon
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Considering what this announcement says about the bidding process and the qualities needed to win, "Britain should bid" is a pretty surprising reaction!