Such a thing as beginners races?

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
After talking with a colleague at work about the Olympics etc he asked did I not fancy racing? At my current sped no chance was my response then the obvious question arose..... Does
Not beginners races exist? I guess people tend to step up to racing from club riding really but thought the question was worth posing?!
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    yes, there are such things... check the BC website for 'Go Race' events.
    However, the events are thin on the ground at this time of the year... it is not a long season!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Beginners races are run on closed-road circuits, so it often depends on whether there is one near you? Check out the British Cycling website for local clubs - some clubs cater for beginners more than others. If you have any ambition to race, then suggest you need to start riding in a group - you'll rider harder and faster than you would on your own and it'll yield dividends when you pin a number on your back.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • They should have handicap races (like in horse racing) where rider and bike combo must weigh at least 19 stone - then I would enter :D
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Why not start out by having a go at a few local club 10 milers Time Trials). Often only a couple of quid to enter on the line, and as you're racing against the clock you cant get dropped!!

One you have done your first then you have a target to beat next time out.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    yeah had thought i could time trial too...might suit me in the long term anyway. had a look on bc and certainly no g0 race near me or many at all in the last year. i may try be brave and try going on some club rides at some point to at least get some group experience.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012