Looking for rides around Stockport/Marple

tudj
tudj Posts: 254
edited August 2012 in MTB rides
I'm new to the whole mountain biking thing, I've been out a few times along the Goyt and up Marple Locks. I'm looking for someone who's in a similar position or someone who rides in the area and wouldn't mind showing me some new places to ride. Although I'm new, I'm confident off-road, happy to take on some new challenges and I'm reasonably fit, 10-15 miles is about my level although I've not attempted anything further yet.

I'd prefer to ride weekends but until September I can also ride in the evenings (don't have lights atm)

Comments

• Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    I'm not far from you (Cheadle Hulme) and spend quite a bit of time in The Peaks and/or Macclesfield Forest.

Every other weekend I'm out and around Hayfield or Ladybower and a couple of evenings per week I go up into Macc Forest for a quick spin around.

I'll be up in Macc Forest tomorrow or Wednesday evening, you're welcome to join me. Only about a 7-10 mile ride, but it's pretty hilly (climbing a total of 1400-1500ft) - takes 75-90 mins ish. Will be starting at 5:30ish from outside The Leather's Smithy pub.
  • mike_s14
    mike_s14 Posts: 48
    May join you for a blast around mac forest, what night you going?
    Cube AMS 120 29'er with 23" frame, its masivooove!!!
    Mondraker Summum, its boouncyyy.....
  • Proutster
    mike_s14 wrote:

Tomorrow evening, I'll take my bike with me to work and (as above) will be starting off from The Leather's Smithy at 5:30ish. I've got a black Freelander and a silver Giant Trance X.

Welcome to join me - let's hope the weather stays OK :D
  • mike_s14
    Proutster wrote:
    mike_s14 wrote:

Tomorrow evening, I'll take my bike with me to work and (as above) will be starting off from The Leather's Smithy at 5:30ish. I've got a black Freelander and a silver Giant Trance X.

Cool, will see you tomorrow, I'm in a red T5

Today looks like the last showery day, so should be fine :)
  • tudj
    Further to my PM I might be able to catch a lift up to Macc, if I'm not there by 5.30 then I won't be coming, don't wait.
  • Proutster
    tudj wrote:
    Further to my PM I might be able to catch a lift up to Macc, if I'm not there by 5.30 then I won't be coming, don't wait.

Do it, you'll enjoy going up a proper hill!! Even more so, you'll love going down the other side!!
  • tudj
    I have no doubts about wanting to do it :p It's just getting there, I'll see what I can do!
  • tudj
    mike_s14 wrote:
    Proutster wrote:
    mike_s14 wrote:

Cool, will see you tomorrow, I'm in a red T5

Today looks like the last showery day, so should be fine :)

I managed to make transport arrangements so I will be there too, I'll be the lanky one on a black and white Giant Talon
  • tudj
    Well guys, I can easily say that was one of the best things I've done in a long long while, many thanks to both of you for the amazing introduction into 'real' mountain biking. There were some very tough sections but I'm just happy I made it all of the way around and managed to stay on the bike!

Some photo's for your viewing pleasure although they can't compare to some of the views we had last night!

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg
  • mike_s14
    Glad you enjoyed it and hope you're not aching too much. It was quite a introduction with the ride upto Charity lane and rocky decents but you coped well.
  • Proutster
    Agreed!! For your first "proper" ride, you did really well.

Great photos, shows what a superb evening it was. Is the last 'photo the scene of my "gash-repairing" (oooh errr matron, fnarr fnarr)?
  • tudj
    Only aching a little bit thankfully. Yes that photo is where you left the white sticky mess by the side of trail.

Thanks for the feedback :D

I'll certainly be investing in some pads and gloves, although I managed to stay on last night I know it won't be long before I come a cropper and a fall on that terrain without pads would be messy.

I'm away for the next 2 weeks or so but I'll be up for doing that again or a similar route when I'm back.

Thanks again!

Oh and I was wrong about the midges, my legs are covered in bites :shock:
  • Milko_
    Milko_ Posts: 23
    Hey, I'm kinda new to the whole mountain biking thing, as well.
    Done trips like Glossop-Langsett-Ladybower-Kinder-Glossop, but it is more of a casual XC if such thing exist.
    In terms of fitness, I'd say I'm average (being strapped in front of a computer 8h a day doesn't help :/)

I'd like to build up some strength/stamina/skill and go out more often, every weekend would be great,
    I imagine evening rides to be quite exciting, too.

Would you guys mind if I tag along sometime?

I live in Glossop by the way.
    Looking for MTB buddy.
  • tudj
    I'm hoping we'll do the Mac run again in the not too distant future, the more the merrier :D

I'd also advise you look at a group called Manchester Mountain Bikers on meetup.com. I recently joined as a guest and they do rides all around this area for all levels of fitness and skill, there are 2 this week for beginners and I'm hoping to do both. They do lot's of evening rides too. You need to sign up and request access on the site but once you do you can see the calendars and sign up to rides.
  • Proutster
    I'm up there again tonight, aiming to do the same route that we did with tudj - starting from The Leather's Smithy pub at 5:30pm and riding for about 2.5 hrs.

Anybody's welcome to join if they want - as tudj says "the more the merrier".
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Will you be playing on the DH tonight?
  • Proutster
    DodgeT wrote:
    Will you be playing on the DH tonight?

No, got the Trance with me today as I need to get some miles under the legs - no way I'm brave enough to go down the DH tracks on that, not enough skill compensation for my lack of ability :D

Doing the same route that I did a few weeks ago with your mate Mike.
  • Milko_
    I'm hoping we'll do the Mac run again in the not too distant future, the more the merrier...

Great! I'll to join you then!
    Actually, I've already sent my application, didn't get a reply, yet, should I just show up on the next ride?
    I'm up there again tonight, aiming to do the same route that we did with tudj - starting from The Leather's Smithy pub at 5:30pm and riding for about 2.5 hrs...

Damn it, I had the feeling I should get the bike to work today...
    I'll try to prepare the day before next time and leave work earlier maybe.

Otherwise, I finish at 18h, by the time I get to Glossop to pick up my stuff then get the train to Macclesfield (yes, yes I'm pedestrian :roll:)
    Looking for MTB buddy.
  • tudj
    Milko_ wrote:
    I'm hoping we'll do the Mac run again in the not too distant future, the more the merrier...
    Great! I'll to join you then!
    Actually, I've already sent my application, didn't get a reply, yet, should I just show up on the next ride?

You should wait, it says on the events that people shouldn't bring guests who aren't registered. Something to do with insurance I think. You'll hear back soon, I waited 4-5 days.
  • Milko_
    Do you plan any rides on the weekend, guys? Apart from MTB Manchester, not a member there just yet.

Tudj, you are the nearest one to me I think, do you wanna go out for a spin tonight/tomorrow?
    Looking for MTB buddy.
  • Proutster
    Milko_ wrote:
    Do you plan any rides on the weekend, guys?

Not me, unfortunately we're down off to that London village for Sat & Sun. Also need to rest my legs as I've ridden Friday, Sunday, Tuesday & last night!!

Might be doing some DH on the Macc Forest DH tracks on the Bank Holiday.

Will probably go out one evening next week - most likely Tuesday, haven't been out around Hayfield for a while so might go there.

All welcome to join me.
  • DodgeT
    Proutster - let us know if you go on Monday, may tag along if free !
  • Proutster
    DodgeT wrote:

Will do, I'll try to get a key sorted before then so that I can unlock the chains.
  • tudj
    Milko_ wrote:
    Do you plan any rides on the weekend, guys? Apart from MTB Manchester, not a member there just yet.

Tudj, you are the nearest one to me I think, do you wanna go out for a spin tonight/tomorrow?

Sorry I've had a bit of a mad weekend and only just seen this post. I've not been out on the bike, I was supposed to this morning with MMBs but after playing hockey yesterday for the first time in over 6 months I'm in no fit shape to walk, never mind get on a bike :cry: I've managed to strain pretty much every muscle below the hips lol.

I'm hoping to get out next weekend sometime, I should be recovered by then. I have no idea where, I'd love to do that same Macc run again if Proutster is heading up that way, I'm hoping I'll be alright with my bike on the train. I'm open to suggestions if that isn't on the cards though.
  • DodgeT
    Proutster wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:

Will do, I'll try to get a key sorted before then so that I can unlock the chains.

Did you get a key??
  • Proutster
    DodgeT wrote:
    Did you get a key??

Not yet, but still planning on going up. Have some crap to do around the house in the morning, but aiming to get there at 2ish for a couple of hours.

See you there?
  • DodgeT
    Proutster wrote:
    DodgeT wrote:
    Did you get a key??

Not yet, but still planning on going up. Have some crap to do around the house in the morning, but aiming to get there at 2ish for a couple of hours.

See you there?

Try to do it on the bathroom...

Right, taking dog out now and get some other stuff done, but should be OK for 2.