Tyres for a fat bloke

Big_Paul
Big_Paul Posts: 277
edited September 2012 in The workshop
Thinking of buying a road bike for sunny days as my hybrid is a bit tank like, it's running 700c x 25 tyres, I weigh about 17 stone and the last road bike I tried the wheels didn't stay true for long, I was wondering if I could run 32 or 35's instead at a slightly lower pressure to give the rims an easier time?

It's a Triban 3 if that makes any difference.
Disc Trucker
Kona Ute
Rockrider 8.1
Evil Resident
Day 01 Disc
Viking Derwent Tandem
Planet X London Road

Comments

• Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Due to some cynical marketing most of road bikes won't take anything larger than 25-28mm so most of people especially heavier riders are trapped in a skinny tyres bubble.

Your best bet would be a much more versatile cyclocross bike that would take any wider road tyres.
    Schwalbe Kojaks in 35mm are brilliant and once you try something so wide comfy and fast you'll be scratching your head as to why people ride skinny tyres designed for racing on potholed roads. :D
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Not sure the triban will take anything wider than a 25 - might take a 28.

For what its worth, I bought a Boardman Hybrid which ran 28s when I was nearly 18 stone. Have lost 4 stone since then and had no problem with the tyres/wheels in the year it took to do that.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Wider tyres won't help your wheels stay true except in the sense that the rims will tend to be a bit stronger.

However, if you get some handbuilt wheels with decent rims and a decent spoke count (i.e. 32 spokes) you should find that they can stand your weight even with 25c or 28c tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Cheers guys, can't stretch to a cyclocross bike just yet so it looks like I'll be stuck with the big Panzerbike. The Triban was going cheap, I couldn't stretch to handbuilt wheels as well. :(

Might go for an easier rolling tyre, running Continental Townrides and you can hear them humming on the tarmac as you ride.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Yo

im 17 stone an ride a roadie (spesh sectuer sport) on 23's

riding at 110 - 120 psi

winter tyres are schwable marathon plus 28's
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • In the end I plumped for a Revolution Cross CX bike, and bought a spare set of wheels for road tyres from Decathlon. After about 100 miles on the CX wheels, I noticed the rear was out of true, then I checked the Decathlon wheel and noticed it was out of true as well, one trip to the LBS later and the chap reckons I'd be better off getting hime to make me a CX wheel and the Decathlon wheel, after less that 40 miles, had every spoke on the drive side loose. :shock:

£20 later and they're both true again, these were wheels thatin the case of the Decathlon one, had never been on anything but normal tarmac, and the CX one was on a few coastal paths and grassy tracks. Never took a serious knock.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • I'm 16 stone and ride 23s on a Ribble Winter Trainer, haven't been doing it that long but they are fine, maybe get better wheels, I run Schwalbe Durano Plus 23s which are good tires too
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,857
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Yo

im 17 stone

Liar :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!