Inspired by the Olympics to pick up cycling

E-Tom
E-Tom Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all
Watching the Olympics has inspired to get involved in cycling. I am 23 and have not been on one for a decent ride since I was roughly 12 (checked earlier to confirm I could still competently ride a bike :lol: ). I am quite active in general, doing a lot of running, circuits and swimming.
To be completely honest, I have no idea where to start when it comes to cycling. What considerations do I factor on the bike and other necessary equipment/ accessories? Does anyone recommend anything for a beginner? I am looking to spend up to £550 on my first bike. I doubt it will be used in cross-country conditions -mainly the road and city. Is there anyone here from the Cardiff/ Penarth/ Dinas Powys/ Barry area who could recommend a road club?
I have seen the Raleigh Airlite 100 mentioned a few times in the forum. What do people think of this for someone in my position?
Appreciate all the help.

Thanks

Comments

• If you have a Decathlon store near you check out the range they have, they seem to get good reviews.

Maybe a trip around a few of your LBS's? see if they have any deals and maybe get them to size you properly.
    Id also recommend making a list of the kit you might need and work this into your budget, just start with the basics first then add to it as you go along.
    Jersey, Bib shorts, bottle and cage, saddle bag, spare tube, pump etc.....
    As for clubs - googles your friend here.
    2012 Giant TCR Composite 3
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    I would advise anybody starting out to make contact wih a club before they buy a bike. Most clubs these days have a coach who can give good advice and perhaps point you in the direction of something secondhand. They can also help with sizing/bike fitting and position.

For starters these clubs are in Cardiff

Cardiff 100 Miles RCC
    Cardiff Ajax CC (http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/join-us/)
  • boh67
    boh67 Posts: 71
    Mate I'm a complete newbie as well. What I would say is buy 2nd hand for your bike to start with
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Necessary equipment,

Padded shorts
    Helmet (depending on your outlook)

Items of clothing I would recomend:
    Cycling short sleeve top
    Arm/Leg warmers
    Waterproof top
    Mitts.

When it gets to winter you will probably want to add

Long sleeve top
    Tights
    Overshoes
    Baselayer

Basically, for a full cycling wardrobe which can cope with all the conditions you're likely to encounter in the UK, you're probably looking at, a slightly scary amount of money...

Start with the shorts go for a few rides, build the collection in pieces...

Also would definitely recommend getting some shoes and clipless pedals. As your first "upgrade", probably looking at about £100 for shoes and pedals.

Basically, be very wary of blowing your budget on the bike alone!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Raleigh Airlite 100 seems an OK beginner bike with potential to be used as your everyday/foul weather bike should you get a job on graduation and upgrade. The gears use a "compact double" with smaller chainrings, ideal for everyday , leisure and fitness cycling and for hillier places; for competition racing it may be under-geared for a strong rider. The neat touch with this bike is that the component sizes of bars and cranks are matched to the frame size for much better fit to the rider. Make sure you get the right sized bike.

Mitts (fingerless gloves) are for protection should you take a slide. On my worst wipeout on the road I emerged a bit bruised with minor grazes and the leather on my mitts 1mm thinner. Without mitts, just imagine the damage.

Avoid clipless pedals until you have sufficient bike handling skill and roadcraft. The plain nylon pedals that come on beginner bikes will do until you get the hang of riding again.

Aldi and Lidl occasionally do cycle sales with OK kit at silly prices.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Sunglasses (although you might want the ones that come with clear lenses!) are really essential, wasps hurt.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    If you do take up cycling and get in to it... prepare to spend a lot of money. Prepare to be thinking about nothing but what you can buy next for your bike. Prepare to be poor.
    But for lots of fun! :)
  • BenKxK wrote:
    If you do take up cycling and get in to it... prepare to spend a lot of money. Prepare to be thinking about nothing but what you can buy next for your bike. Prepare to be poor.
    But for lots of fun! :)

This indeed unfortunatly is FACT.
  • Jez mon wrote:
    Basically, for a full cycling wardrobe which can cope with all the conditions you're likely to encounter in the UK, you're probably looking at, a slightly scary amount of money...

Well pointed out, this month alone I added a pair of Castelli team garmin bib shorts, team summer jersey and thermal winter jersey.... £180 the lot

As mentioned, It's an expensive hobby, the bike is just the tip of the iceberg!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Essential:
    Padded shorts
    Helmet
    Glasses (preferrably with interchangable lenses)
    Spare tubes (buy 2 or 3, take 1 with you on each ride)
    Tyre levers
    Bottle cage
    Bottle

Not essential but handy:
    2nd bottle cage + bottle
    Saddle bag
    Cycle computer
    Clipless pedals + shoes or some stiff soled cycling shoes if you want to stick with flat pedals
    Cycling jersey (I still ride in a t-shirt but others are of the Lycra persuasion)

I would budget £100 for essential accessories and a further £150 for the other stuff I have listed.

You can get everything on this list (+ a half decent bike -Triban 3 maybe?) from Decathlon and you will be under your £550 budget. Go to a Decathlon store, give them your list of things and ask them to help you. Or you could go to your local bike shop for a bike and order accessories online (Wiggle, Chain Reaction Cycles etc.)
  • Beads
    Beads Posts: 4
    Hiya I'm just starting out too and I live in Barry, I'm 26 maybe we could ride together some time... I'm yet to get the bike etc but within the next week I'll be on two wheels ;)
  • Twelly
    Jez mon wrote:

Well pointed out, this month alone I added a pair of Castelli team garmin bib shorts, team summer jersey and thermal winter jersey.... £180 the lot

It doesn't need to be as expensive as that. £180 for that lot is a tad excessive. Each to their own though.

There is no reason why you can't ride in your normal Sports Direct £10 shorts and t-shirt.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend that much on cycling clothes - some people love having all the top notch gear but I am saying you don't have to plug your life savings in to cycling in order to have fun/get fit.
  • TwellySmat wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

It doesn't need to be as expensive as that. £180 for that lot is a tad excessive. Each to their own though.

There is no reason why you can't ride in your normal Sports Direct £10 shorts and t-shirt.

I'm not saying you shouldn't spend that much on cycling clothes - some people love having all the top notch gear but I am saying you don't have to plug your life savings in to cycling in order to have fun/get fit.

Of course not, and for a beginner I wouldn't recommend Castelli unless they have money to throw away, keep it basic and cheap to begin with, after all, you may not stick at it (most don't). I was moreso iterating on the point of pouring money into you're hobby and how it get's expensive (but fun)!

I would recommend for an absolute beginner the following:

(£17) Padded under shorts (wear under normal shorts that you already own)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-padded-undershorts/

(£18) Jersey with zip (useful for cooling in hot weather, especially on climbs)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57021

(£10) Frame pump:
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/2 ... n=pid20032

(£6.40) bottle cage:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bontrage ... 16381.html

(< £3) A drinks bottle:
    (anywhere)

(£10) a few spare inner tubes & tyre levers
    (anywhere)

£30 Helmet:
    Get one fitted at a shop, the comfortable one.

£30 Power Race Glasses (keeps flies and dirt out of your eyes as well as sun protection):
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLPRTOR/pow ... ng_glasses

£10-£20 emergency compact cycle tool
    (anywhere) - eBay super cheap.

That's it, get on you're bike and ride.
  • Twelly

(£10) Frame pump:

(£6.40) bottle cage:

(< £3) A drinks bottle:
    (anywhere)

(anywhere)

£30 Helmet:

£30 Power Race Glasses (keeps flies and dirt out of your eyes as well as sun protection):

Spot on.

But check Aldi and Lidl when they have their cycling weeks, they do cycling glasses with 3 different lenses for something silly like £8 (don't quote me on that but it's bloody cheap!)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    The other bit I would add, as mentioned above, are some mitts, you can get fairly basic ones for about a tenner.

Also, my main point was, covering the whole range of British weather. a jersey and shorts might get a bit cold and wet in a couple of months!!!

So, just make sure you have a bit of money in the bank for a cheap water proof and winter clothing, in case you find yourself wanting to put some serious winter miles in!!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    blackhands wrote:
    I would advise anybody starting out to make contact wih a club before they buy a bike. Most clubs these days have a coach who can give good advice and perhaps point you in the direction of something secondhand. They can also help with sizing/bike fitting and position.

For starters these clubs are in Cardiff

Cardiff 100 Miles RCC
    Cardiff Ajax CC (http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/join-us/)

Add to those Cardiff JIF (originally named as a p**s take of the much longer established Ajax but now a big club) or slightly further afield Ogmore Valley Wheelers.

EDIT There is also Forza RT but I'm not sure if they run as a club or if they are just an 'invite only' racing team. It might be worth popping into Forza Cycles in Llantwit Major for a chat (leave the credit card at home!).
  • If your budget is £550, buy a £300 bike and spend the rest on kit.

Some good lists so far, but I'll highlight the following...

Get a multitool to take out with you; preferably one with an integrated chain tool (or get a separate chain tool).
    Get a track pump and use it.
    Get good tyres, as there are more enjoyable things in life than inflating a tyre by the roadside with a mini pump.
    Get good lights; preferably a front light that allows you to see where you are going on unlit roads.
    Get some oil and some cleaning supplies (degreaser and a stiff brush at least; bike wash is also worth having) and use them.
    Use your full complement of bottle cage fitments (probably two on the frame) and get some 750ml bottles. Keep them clean!
    Get at least one jersey and one set of padded shorts (I prefer bibs). They needn't be expensive.
    Get some mitts. Once it gets cold you can get some cheap fleece gloves and wear them on top.
    If you get a helmet, get one that fits, and that you won't hate wearing.
    Get the right shoes and pedals. Plenty of road cyclists use recessed cleats; don't be afraid to do likewise just because they aren't branded as 'road pedals'.
    Get a cycle computer. I wish I had had one when I started. Very useful for motivation and to monitor your progress. It doesn't need to be wireless and it doesn't need to be expensive. I use a Sigma BC1009.

You should also be prepared to replace your saddle. Chances are the one that comes with your bike will be fine, but you may not get on with it. Everyone is different, and some people simply don't get on with some saddles. Price doesn't really come into it.

Once you've got all of the above you should be well on your way to getting into road cycling. It may seem like a lot of paraphernalia, but it will allow you to make the most of your bike and keep it basically maintained. Don't be one of those people that calls a taxi because their chain comes off!
  • team47b wrote:
    Sunglasses (although you might want the ones that come with clear lenses!) are really essential, wasps hurt.

I would look for Safety Glasses rather than Sunglasses.
    Bolle or DeWalt make excellent Safety Sunglasses that look okay for under a tenner.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • E-Tom
    E-Tom Posts: 3
    Thanks for the feedback all!

I'll try and contact a club this week to try and get some advice.

Beads, I would like to take up that offer when I am able to purchase one.

There is a lot of kit to consider, more than I anticipated. Might have to wait until another payday so I have enough saved. That is not a problem though because it means I have more time to shop around!
    I did go to my LBS today to get some face-to-face with someone more knowledgeable than me. I asked to try the bikes they recommended, but was not able to as they did not know who I was - shame, but completely understandable.
  • TwellySmat wrote:

(£10) Frame pump:

(£6.40) bottle cage:

(< £3) A drinks bottle:
    (anywhere)

(anywhere)

£30 Helmet:

Spot on.

But check Aldi and Lidl when they have their cycling weeks, they do cycling glasses with 3 different lenses for something silly like £8 (don't quote me on that but it's bloody cheap!)[/quote]

The glasses are £2.99 & are superb fit + quality! I've got some & it just goes to show how we are ripped off by other brands!!!! :lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • biscuit959
    biscuit959 Posts: 111
    E-Tom wrote:
    I asked to try the bikes they recommended, but was not able to as they did not know who I was - shame, but completely understandable.

What?? Do they only sell bikes to their friends?
  • biscuit959 wrote:
    E-Tom wrote:
    I asked to try the bikes they recommended, but was not able to as they did not know who I was - shame, but completely understandable.

What?? Do they only sell bikes to their friends?

Glad I'm not the only one that thought this when I read it?!
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    edited August 2012
    E-Tom wrote:

There is a lot of kit to consider, more than I anticipated. Might have to wait until another payday so I have enough saved. That is not a problem though because it means I have more time to shop around!
    I did go to my LBS today to get some face-to-face with someone more knowledgeable than me. I asked to try the bikes they recommended, but was not able to as they did not know who I was - shame, but completely understandable.

While the kit listed here is all good advice do not let it stop you doing the most important thing, riding a bike.

Go get the bike.

You'll have a pair of shorts in the house.
    You'll have a t-shirt in the house.
    You'll have a pair of trainers in the house.
    Mitts? £3 Tesco
    Water Bottle? Use an empty screw top plastic bottle

Of course we all want the best gear but it can come later. Just do local loops around your house & if the worst happens in terms of a mechanical you can just bloody walk home.

Ride it, enjoy it.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    There's a lot of advice on buying cheap stuff to start off with, and whilst this can ring true in certain areas, there can also be n element of false economy. Buy the best that you can afford, especially when it comes to shorts.
    (If you're suitably well off to buy Campag Super Record and Rapha, then do so, and f*ck anyone who doesn't like it ! :wink: )

A cheap pair of shorts is likely to have a very simple pad. This can lead to undue soreness in the saddle, which can be off putting. You don't want to quit a great sport because you're unnecessarily uncomfortable. The exception to this is the extremely well recieved dhb shorts from Wiggle. They always get good reviews regarding comfort and quality and are very well priced.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    E-Tom wrote:

Try Cyclopedia in Cardiff, they do bike fitting and allow you to test ride bikes as long as the weather is OK. I'm not sure if they have much in your price range but they are a knowledgable bunch and will be able to give you information on Cardiff clubs (certainly JIF who they sponsor but probably Ajax as well).
  • Twelly
    MattC59 wrote:
    There's a lot of advice on buying cheap stuff to start off with, and whilst this can ring true in certain areas, there can also be n element of false economy. Buy the best that you can afford, especially when it comes to shorts.
    (If you're suitably well off to buy Campag Super Record and Rapha, then do so, and f*ck anyone who doesn't like it ! :wink: )

A cheap pair of shorts is likely to have a very simple pad. This can lead to undue soreness in the saddle, which can be off putting. You don't want to quit a great sport because you're unnecessarily uncomfortable. The exception to this is the extremely well recieved dhb shorts from Wiggle. They always get good reviews regarding comfort and quality and are very well priced.

I have some Endura shorts which I bought solely because they were the cheapest I could find (£17ish?) They are are fine. Have been through the wash many many times and still comfy even on 50+ mile rides. So from my experience, you sir, are talking balls.

My girlfriend uses Lidls padded shorts (£under a tenner) and she loves them. Still fairly new though so can't comment on durability.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Get that Triban 3 from Decathlon (£300) and have done with it. :wink:

You might need one frame size smaller than you think, the reach seemed a bit much for me.

The Raleigh Airlite 100 in comparison to the Triban 3...

- More costly
    - Has the same groupset (Shimano 2300) except the Triban 3 has a (better than 2300) Sora front mech
    - Metal fork (not carbon, amazing on a £300 bike)
    - Its slightly heavier
    - Its not got triple chainrings (I needed to put a MTB cassette on and I HAVE a triple, so god knows what a double must be like with a 25T rear!)

The only thing I can see better about the Raleigh is its got Schwalbe tyres.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Ride your bike lots, worry about the kit later.

As you carry on you'll slowly accumulate kit.

I started with just shorts and a top.

Now I pretty much need another wardrobe.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Aldi as mentioned above is good. I got a pair of those glasses and they are good for cycling. I also got their heart rate monitor (£8.99 that I have seen for £19.99 in the local chemists, sheesh) and that also works well, it even has a 3 year guarantee and it is made in Germany, if that still means anything these days. They even sell brake pads in Aldi but I don't think I would risk them, no reason, I just don't think you need to go so far with it that you even buy brake pads there. I mean what next, a chainset? You have to draw the line somewhere and say "This isn't a bike shop". I got 4 "Clarks" pads from CRC and they were ridiculously cheap like £1.99 for 2 pads - they were vastly better than the horrendous crap the MTB had on it as standard, they have already outlasted those pads by 3x easily.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    1. Buy a bike.
    2. Ride it.
    3. Get the kit when you need it.

As said above - the kit will help you do more of #2, easier. But it's easy to get wrapped up in having to wear the jersey, the glasses, the SPD shoes, the mitts, everything... if I'm going on a 'proper' ride then yes, I'll get kitted out properly: it helps with comfort and speed and also psychologically. But the nicest ride I've had recently was when I just hopped on it and went for a spin in trainers, shorts and t-shirt. Cycling's about freedom after all...
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012