cycling round grasmere

polska1979
polska1979 Posts: 152
edited August 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi

Me and the Mrs are heading up to the lakes next weekend and were thinking of taking the bikes. Does anyone know of any easy routes around grasmere?

I say easy as the wife is only just back on the bike after having a c section 7 weeks ago!

The routes would have to be suitable for hybris/road as opposed to MOuntain bikes

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• The main road south/south east (A591) heading past Rydal to Ambleside should be suitable. From Ambleside follow the road that heads west (A593) towards Clappersgate (in the direction of Coniston) but after going over the bridge turn right immediately onto the road Under Loughrigg. This is a quiet backroad that rejoins the A591 just south of Rydal.

The Easedale road leaving Grasmere to the north west should be a nice short pleasant ride but you will have to turn round and return the same way.

The Red Bank road that goes round the western side of Grasmere is pleasant for quite a while, offering nice views over the lake, but then gets very steep (25%), so go as far as you like then head back downhill.

North of Grasmere the A591 heads up Dunmail Raise and over to Thirlmere, but this is quite a climb and might be too much for your wife. If you do go up it drop down the other side then take the first left and cycle up the western side of Thirlmere which is much quieter than the main road along the eastern side.

Take your bikes, I'm sure some or all of the above will give you some pleasant cycling.