Fitting rear shild seat to seat post

Rodders30
Rodders30 Posts: 314
Hi all,

I bought a rear seat this weekend and having a little trouble on my frame. Because of the way the top tube is done (pic attached) it puts the seat very low, my feet hit it and littlen is very close to by rear end as I have the saddle so high.

Has anyone ever fitted a child seat to the seat post of a bike? I could put a sleeve in to beef it up, but it may be strong enough already? As its an extra long one, its already thicker.
Trek 1.5 Road
Haro MTB

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Hi.

In short, I wouldn't recommend it. That's a lot of force on something that isn't really built to accommodate it.

If you did do it, I'd recommend getting a thick steel seatpost, and significantly longer so that it goes deep down into the seat tube. (But yeah, I wouldn't recommend it).

Did you have the bike with you when you purchased? I'd take it back and say it wasn't fit for purpose. Perhaps they can recommend one that would better suit your bike?
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    Hi Baudman,

I've fitted a 3mm wall thickness piece of pipe in the seat tube, it now weighs a ton, but its rock solid.

It goes in further than all the welds, so forces are evenly distributed.

I've tested without littlen and appears to be very secure.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB