Grinding when i spin the cranks

con1924
con1924 Posts: 89
edited August 2012 in MTB general
Hi, i got my new bike last week and today was the first day it got properly muddy. When i turn the cranks (Its single speed) backwards i can hear the dirt grinding. I have hosed the bike down but its still there. Has anybody got any good ideas on how to clean this up with out stripping everything down ? I can hear it near the grinding near the bottom bracket and at the back ring, It isnt in the rear hub as it is sealed but it sounds like it near there, Cheers

Comments

• Are you running a tensioner? Most tensioners do not like back pedaling in the slightest. I have the same on my SS.
  • Why are you pedalling backwards?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    con1924 wrote:
    I have hosed the bike down but its still there.

You didn't high pressure hose directly onto the bottom bracket or hub, did you?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Why are you pedalling backwards?

Why not? It's not like you shouldnt be able to.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Typically it's still grit in the drivetrain somewhere. Out on a ride and it's muddy, don't worry about it. Ride through cleanish looking puddles and might wash out the crud. The more pedalling and breaking in the dryer sections and it will die away.

You can give the drivetrain a proper clean if you like. A chain cleaning gadget is pretty good. Oil the chain after!

After hosing the bike down, you often get a gritty sound in the brakes. Essentially grit on the pads/discs or at least small particles in the water. Ride and break a few times, sorted.

If it's definitely from bottom bracket, you may have flushed the grease out when cleaning. High pressure hose? If so... don't do that again! at least not directed around bearings. That's what destroyed an old cage style headset of mine.
  • con1924
    Cheers for the help. I didn't use a high pressure hose, just a standard one, and I didn't wash out the bottom bracket. But I've looked at it this morning and I've got some rust on the chain (so any ideas on that please?). I'm not running a tensioner either. My plan is to wipe the whole bike down with paper towel. Remove the rear wheel and then use a wet painting brush to try and get the mud out of the chain, Sprocket and freewheel area, do we think this is a good idea? Cheers for all the help again
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It probably isn't 'rust', just a bit of discolouration. Apply some more lube and it will go away.

Using a hose should do a good enough job of cleaning the chain etc. Just spin the cranks while hosing it.
  • con1924
    Okay cheers, i've taken off the rear wheel and whipped the chain, sprocket and freewheel with a wet brush. And im pleased to say there is no dirt in the BB or hub, i just need to get some of it out were the freewheel is on the hub, then going to put it back together and add some GT85. Thanks for the help
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Just watch out you don't get any GT85 on your brakes!
  • con1924
    haha yeah, that wouldn't be cleaver :)
  • Anonymous
    Better still don't get GT85 anywhere near the bike ;). It's a degreaser after all, though yeah it has the "teflon coating" stuff but it's a light residue it leaves behind after it's flushed everything away from the degreasing. If using it on the chain - don't! Use chain oil or any oil, but not GT85 or WD40 (just about the same stuff as GT85).

Rust or discoloured chain - don't worry. Will be gone after a ride. But after washing, wipe the chain, apply oil, and you'll likely avoid it anyway.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It's not a degreaser, it displaces water!

There is nothing wrong with carefully spaying it over a chain, is especially good to do after a wet ride when a proper clean is not possible. Only gets a bad name as people do not use it properly.
  • Anonymous
    Well I've used it very successfully to degrease components I've removed. If that doesn't convince you, spray it on your bearings ;)
  • Chunkers1980
    I think you are confusing degreasing with a cleaning agent that helps break down the crap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

I wouldn't spray is anywhere near stuff with proper grease in as it will help speed up the break down.
  • Anonymous
    It's both. Yes it's sold on its water displacing properties and PTFE "lubricant" layer, but (and we've done GT85 discussions to death and concluded as much) its solvent/degreasing properties outweigh the benefits using it as a lubricant and water displacer.

Sure you can lightly spray the chain and hope it doesn't work into the links, or you can just throw the can in the bin and use plain chain oil like everyone else (who hasn't been given a can of GT85 by Halfords ;) ). Or for more "wet" resistance, wax chain lube if you like.
  • Chunkers1980
    I really would hope it gets into the links and under the rollers and drives out the water (this is stop the surface rust if left wet for a while). I'd then wipe it and apply proper lube. Then do it again a few days later as, as you says it will have diluted/broken down the proper lube.

Saying you should throw it in the bin is non-sense. It has its place if used properly.