Faceplant in the peaks video

ilovedirt
ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
edited September 2012 in Your pics and vids
Helmet cam video from my crash today in the peaks. Went down pretty hard and ended the ride due to nearly knocking my teeth out, breaking my seatpost and various other cuts/bruises.

Here
Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    ouch! cracking video quality though...go-pro hero?
  • ilovedirt
    Yep, Go Pro HD hero 960.
    I usually use Imovie to edit together footage, however I just uploaded this straight from the raw file, and the quality is much better. I might have to find a video editor that doesn't compress the footage as much.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • oooof. how did that happen? looked nasty!
  • ilovedirt
    I'm not really sure! It was steeper/looser than it looked in the video, think i just hit a loose rock a bit funny with my front wheel. Pretty much just went straight over the bars and landed on my face... Fucking hurt!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Damn rocks :lol: You can see the 1 rock roll away from your face!

Cwmcarn has suddenly become really cut up with rocks, I had a big one flick up and bash me in the shin today - It actually got 'stuck' between my frame and shin for a few secs and got I a big lump now! Serves me right for not wearing shin guards!
  • ilovedirt
    Yep, that was probably the bugger that did it!

I've decided i don't like rocks anymore - roots are fine though :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    I came a cropper on the Hagg Farm descent on one of my very first rides in the peak on my old hardtail, it's always in the back of my mind whenever I've ridden it since! There are some pretty big loose rocks after the second gate. Hope you heal quick :)
  • ilovedirt
    Cheers mate, yeah it's pretty damn loose! First time I've ridden in the peaks, I was loving up until that point. Rode the Hope Cross descent as well - awesome fun!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    Which descent from Hope Cross did you do? The 'Beast'? Now that can get loose! There are so many great routes around the Dark Peak, it's my favourite area to ride :) I'm doing a 60km ride over there on Thursday, I'll put the best bits from the video on here!
  • ilovedirt
    I believe it was the beast, you turn right at the cross roads as you're coming out of Hope. Really good fun, nice and steep in places :D
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Ouch! I'm so afraid that could happen to me pretty much every time I ride something steep
    and I ride nowhere near that speed.

(but no, I'm not going to wear that 5 pound full face helmet, thank you very much :D )
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    ilovedirt wrote:
    it's pretty damn loose!

How is the tooth now, or don't I want to know......

@ LillyS - whats the big "thing" about to eat you in your avatar??
  • ilovedirt
    LillyS wrote:
    Ouch! I'm so afraid that could happen to me pretty much every time I ride something steep
    and I ride nowhere near that speed.

(but no, I'm not going to wear that 5 pound full face helmet, thank you very much :D )
    Aye, I'd rather take the risk than wear my full face! It's just part of the sport I guess :)

Dodge - only just managed to get to the dentist today actually since the accident. The tooth is still a little sensitive, but better than it was. The general consensus after a couple of x-rays was that "it looks ok". So hopefully it's alright for now!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5