Need lots of help!

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Just getting back into mountain biking after quite a few years off and need a bit of advice as reading through posts and other Internet bumf is leaving me a bit confused :oops:

I'm looking at buying a 2007 FSR XC comp frame (XL size) that's for sale on here but need to know the following:

Would it be ok to run 140mm travel fork with this frame or would 120mm be better suited (rear shock is 100mm)?
Would the fork fitment be 1 1/8 and what length steerer would I need?
What sort of headset would fit this frame?
What type/size bottom bracket would I need?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm totally lost with all this. Will be sending it to my LBS to get most things fitted but need to buy the bits off here and eBay to keep costs down as much as possible.

Thanks all,
Toddy

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The frame is designed around 100-110mm - but as you have no warranty with a second hand frame, then you can fit what you want (within reason). I think 140mm may be a little too much, slackening the angles off too much. That said it is quite steep already, and has a low bottom bracket so it might work out ok.

You need a standard external cup headset such as this:

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/m ... adset.html

Steerer length depends on the frame headtube length, stem and headset stack height - but new forks should come with steerers long enough, you cut it down to size. It is 1 and 1/8th inch diameter.

Bottom bracket depends on the chainset you fit.
  • Myster101
    Thanks supersonic, will be looking to buy the forks second hand so wasn't to sure on what sort of steerer length I should be looking for. As for crankset I was going to fit a Shimano SLX one, if I do what bb would I need that would fit this frame?
    It's a pain trying to build up a bike and not knowing about sizes etc, don't want to waste money on ordering the wrong bits of kit!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    It may help if you have a google and find out the spec of the frame. You'll need to know everything like seatpost size, front mech diameter ...
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Myster101 wrote:
    Thanks supersonic, will be looking to buy the forks second hand so wasn't to sure on what sort of steerer length I should be looking for. As for crankset I was going to fit a Shimano SLX one, if I do what bb would I need that would fit this frame?
    It's a pain trying to build up a bike and not knowing about sizes etc, don't want to waste money on ordering the wrong bits of kit!

If new, the SLX crank should come with a BB that will fit your frame
  • Myster101
    Thanks for the replys gents.

Greer, it comes with seat post and front mech so should be ok there, but good advice about getting full frame spec, will have a search now.

Not sure if crankset will be new as need to keep costs as low as possible. Any ideas which bb would fit if I went for SLX?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The SLX comes with the bottom bracket - if not you need a threaded HT2.
  • Myster101
    Ahh now I think get it!!

So I can just buy an SLK crank and it will fit straight on, told you I was useless at all this :oops:

Once again many thanks.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Myster101
    Haha thanks mate, I'll keep an eye out for one including the bb. Like I've said it will be going to LBS to be put together properly but want to buy secondhand parts if I can. No doubt I'll have another load of questions for you knowlageble folks so watch this space!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive