Olympic grammar

vermin
vermin Posts: 1,739
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
A memo needs to be circulated around the entire BBC sports team; presenters, athletes, coaches and all:

An event has competitors. A competitor has opponents. A competitor does not have competitors. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Also, "medal" is a noun, not a verb. OK, I accept that language evolves, but it just seems so wrong. I don't like people who use "invite" as a noun, either, mind you, so maybe that's part of why it grates upon me so much.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Agent57 wrote:
    Also, "medal" is a noun, not a verb. OK, I accept that language evolves, but it just seems so wrong. I don't like people who use "invite" as a noun, either, mind you, so maybe that's part of why it grates upon me so much.
    Not even if you got an invite to a medal race? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Agent57 wrote:

How about "podiumed" instead? :)
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    In modern idiom (especially American) there is no noun that cannot be verbed and vice versa. I had a US colleague tell me straight faced recently that a project was through the concepting group phase.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • That's nothing. US media refers to "most winningest".

Pass the flamethrower.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Thanks to twitter the difference between one and won.

GB have just won gold.
    Australia have just one gold.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Time to ban the word amazing too. Come on chaps. Dig deep; find that adjective. You can do it.
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    Well, in the strictest sense, "Medal" can be a transitive verb. Someone can be medalled (given a medal), or can medal someone else. Medal definitely isn't a verb in the sense it's being used by commentators, though, as a synonym for "finish in the top three places".
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Beyond the Olympic stadium, the grammatical tick which winds me up the most is improper use of the reflexive pronoun (myself, yourself), in the best traditions of estate agent/insurance salesmen:
    "You can fill out the form send it to myself"
    No you can't! You can fill out the form and send it to ME!

In the world of computers, nothing is ever superseded, it is obsoleted.
  • CiB
    MichaelW wrote:
    Beyond the Olympic stadium, the grammatical tick which winds me up the most is improper use of the reflexive pronoun (myself, yourself), in the best traditions of estate agent/insurance salesmen:

Well if we're being picky we fill forms in, not out. See those blank boxes? That's where we write the words, IN the boxes. Forms are filled in, not out.

This has been getting up my nose for nigh on 30 years now. I still dislike it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:

Well if we're being picky we fill forms in, not out. See those blank boxes? That's where we write the words, IN the boxes. Forms are filled in, not out.

This has been getting up my nose for nigh on 30 years now. I still dislike it.

If it's in regular use for 30 years then it can be considered a new grammatical rule.

Language is a fluid, evolving thing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    What's this 'Team GB' guff all about?

Surely it's Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=12869377
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    What really winds me up is people's insistence on pronouncing Beijing with a French-style 'j'. It's Bei Jing. With a 'j' as in, you know, jingle.
  • CiB
    If it's in regular use for 30 years then it can be considered a new grammatical rule.

I don't expect people to come on here and be right about things, you're supposed to nod your head in sage agreement. Tssk.

It sounds wrong, and technically is too. Still.

<miniature smiley then>
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316

I think it's the 'Team' bit which irritates more that the ommission of Northern Ireland.

It's marketing pish, straight from the same handbook as Sky's Blue Line.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739

Fluidity of language is acceptable, so long as it still makes sense: Forms are filled in; female Belarussian athletes are filled out...

60030cb2428b84c41c9e10b44758.jpeg
  • What's this 'Team GB' guff all about?

I think it's the 'Team' bit which irritates more that the ommission of Northern Ireland.

It's marketing pish, straight from the same handbook as Sky's Blue Line.
    Mind you, it would have mucked up the Wimbledon crowd's attempt to drown out chants of "Bel-a-rus, Bel-a-rus" yesterday, "Team-GBNI, Team-GBNI" doesn't quite scan the same........ :wink:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • vermin wrote:

Fluidity of language is acceptable, so long as it still makes sense: Forms are filled in; female Belarussian athletes are filled out...

Urghhh.... pass the mind-bleach please.....
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    vermin wrote:
    The correct usage is now indelibly inked into/onto my consciousness
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    vermin wrote:

Urghhh.... pass the mind-bleach please.....

Victoria-Azarenka-in-bikini.jpg

Are you sure that Belarussian athletes cannot be filled in?