SINGLESPEED Machines

AORboyo
AORboyo Posts: 53
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Howdy!!!

Fancy trying my hands of commuting to my daily workplace on a Singlespeed, normally ride my Giant CRS 1.0 on this jaunt in winter & bad weather, just fancy a change........what would folk recommend???

All comments / advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on your budget! What can you spend? Also is it a road singlespeed with dropbars you are after?
  • AORboyo
    AORboyo Posts: 53
    I would spend say upto a £1000 give or take, make NO odds regarding drop / straight bars.....See what folk recommend & take it from there, only really gonna use it for work commuting.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    I built my own, got a Evil Resident frame from Wiggle, the rest came from ebay and a mixture of new parts and stuff I had lying about. It's great fun and I have the satisfaction of thinking "I made that" :)
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    I just picked up a Genesis Flyer a couple of weeks ago for my slightly hilly commute. So far it's been as fast, if not faster (mainly on the short uphills as you have to get out of the saddle early and power up them) then my old commuting bike (Spesh Tricross), and it's nice not having to think about changing gears. Bike was £500 and while not the lightest, it absorbs bumps nicely and handles really well. The saddle has to go though IMO but that's a personal thing.
    I got mine for £500 as it was last years model, so a bit of a bargain, but it's still a great bike for the RRP. Highly recommended!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    ror3h wrote:
    I just picked up a Genesis Flyer a couple of weeks ago for my slightly hilly commute. So far it's been as fast, if not faster (mainly on the short uphills as you have to get out of the saddle early and power up them) then my old commuting bike (Spesh Tricross), and it's nice not having to think about changing gears. Bike was £500 and while not the lightest, it absorbs bumps nicely and handles really well. The saddle has to go though IMO but that's a personal thing.
    I got mine for £500 as it was last years model, so a bit of a bargain, but it's still a great bike for the RRP. Highly recommended!

+1

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Hi,

I currently cycle to work on a specialized langster 2011. I got mine for 350 reduced from 500 and honestly its fantastic! Its really light and perfect for a fairly short commute and city riding. On my way home from work its up hill most of the way and it isnt too bad at all. The only time i wish i had gears is when you are going up hill and its windy... thats pretty grim! I recently did a 40 mile trip on it and it was great except for a massive climb where i had to get off and push :oops:
  • I built a ss from an old dawes frame (reynolds 501), I reckon the satisfaction of building your own is unrivalled - that is, if you like building bike ( i love it).

I'm running a 70" gear, which basically means it's a slightly bigger gear than what stock SS come with. It's great for my 3 mile commute. I have used it for some ''long commutes'' as well, where we averaged 20mph - managed, but tough work keeping up with geared bikes.

Good points for SS: Beautiful simplicity, theres a real elegance about one gear. Low maintenance. Lighter weight. Cool 8) Builds strengh - a ss really makes you work hard from stop to go, and I've noticed a sizable difference in strengh
    Bad points - takes a bit of grunt to get going so when you tired or bad day or windy... :x Hills? I don't bother, for me I want speed on the flat so (for me) my gear is too big for any proper hills
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you want a single speed MTB for commuting then I think the Vitus Vee from Cahin Reaction Cycles is best and well below budget. If you want more of a road bike the CRC were also selling dicounted Kona Band Wagons a while back. The Genesis looks good too. You might want to consider if you want a bike with mudguard mounts or not.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    if you've got £1000 a spend take a look at the Condor Tempo.

extravagent, but nice.
  • I built a ss from an old dawes frame (reynolds 501), I reckon the satisfaction of building your own is unrivalled - that is, if you like building bike ( i love it).

I'm running a 70" gear, which basically means it's a slightly bigger gear than what stock SS come with. It's great for my 3 mile commute. I have used it for some ''long commutes'' as well, where we averaged 20mph - managed, but tough work keeping up with geared bikes.

Good points for SS: Beautiful simplicity, theres a real elegance about one gear. Low maintenance. Lighter weight. Cool 8) Builds strengh - a ss really makes you work hard from stop to go, and I've noticed a sizable difference in strengh
    Bad points - takes a bit of grunt to get going so when you tired or bad day or windy... :x Hills? I don't bother, for me I want speed on the flat so (for me) my gear is too big for any proper hills

20mph on a 70"? you must be spinning like a nutter. I find a 70" 48x18 a right pain, too small, but I managed to keep the Tri bloke on tri bars behind me today. Haven't been beaten yet. I have a vote for a Pompino (On One). I think I'll need a 17 on the back.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business

• 20mph on a 70"? you must be spinning like a nutter.

Yup, tbh on the fast (23-26 mph) sections I don't mind, I'm not spinning out, however any hill or acceleration from nil is tough
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    SS is useless. Go FIXED !