Beginner - new bike - which tyres?

djd100
djd100 Posts: 3
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi - 1st post to the forum so hello,

I've just got my first bike since being a kid. Hopefully me and the misses will try and get out quite a bit - mainly cycle paths / bridleways - not really much off road but the odd bit of mud / thorns / etc I expect.
Got a Trek 4500d which came with Bontrager XR2 tyres.
Quick question:

- Wondering if the tyre choice is likely to be any good for the type of usage I'll be doing - or whether another type would be more appropriate?

I'll also be following the puncture avoidance thread - 2.5 miles in to first proper ride down a bridleway and rear flat. Looks like I'd better start learning how to replace / fix the things :D

Dave

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    See how you get on with your tyres before replacing anything IMO.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    What caused your first puncture? If it was a thorn, just avoid thorny areas, but if it was a pinch puncture then you may be better with a bit more air in the tyres.

I have an older Trek 4500 and I was just really doing light stuff with it at first, the tyres were fine for that. I presume your tyres are a later incarnation of the ones I had. I only changed them when they wore out. I had a bit of trouble with punctures at first, but only because I was using a mini-pump with no gauge for pumping the tyres up so was running too low a pressure (I was 24 stone at the time). A track pump with a gauge soon sorted out that issue.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I had a bit of trouble with punctures at first, but only because I was using a mini-pump with no gauge for pumping the tyres up so was running too low a pressure (I was 24 stone at the time). A track pump with a gauge soon sorted out that issue.

That's due to pinch flats then, not thorns.
    waby1234 wrote:
    See how you get on with your tyres before replacing anything IMO.

+1, always.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The tyres you have are aimed at cross country off road riding but will work for road and light off road use just fine.

A knobbly tyre basically gives traction off road but will tend to rob you of a little speed and ease of rolling on harder packed/asphalt. You can get semi slick tyres which may make for ease of progress especially on metalled routes but I'd stick with what you have and save the money until you have found your feet and know what you are riding on most of the time.

Worst case the existing tyres will get you fitter!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Greer_ wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I had a bit of trouble with punctures at first, but only because I was using a mini-pump with no gauge for pumping the tyres up so was running too low a pressure (I was 24 stone at the time). A track pump with a gauge soon sorted out that issue.

That was the point I was making.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    mcnultycop wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:
    mcnultycop wrote:

That was the point I was making.

My bad :roll: :lol: didn't read it properly!
  • djd100
    djd100 Posts: 3
    Many thanks, all