Ragley Piglet or Rockhopper Comp?

fergo
fergo Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Which would you buy and reasons why?

Dont know much about Ragley TBH, wondered what everyone's thoughts are, has quite a big discount.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=62607 - Piglet £640

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/speciali ... 76775.html - Rockhopper Comp £600

Will be used in local woods/trails - not DH.

Thanks

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends what sort of terrrain you plan to ride: the Piglet has slacker geometry and will be more stable, a good bet if you like to descend quickly over harder terrain. The Hopper is a classic XC bike, faster handling - but not as good value.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With SS, the two are very different bikes, for hardtails about as far apart as you can get at that price, so what riding will you do, for XC there are better cheaper bikes than the 'hopper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Piglet
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • fergo
    Thanks for the replies, as for the piglet im wondering if the frame is thick enough - looks rather thin and im 6'3 and 15st, sounds daft but will it take my weight!?
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Yes, it's steel and a very strong bike.
    Frankly, these two bikes are very different and I don't think you should just be tossing a coin between them. Do a bit more reading around or have a serious think about what sort of riding you want to do. Be realistic - most of us probably over estimate what were likely to be riding most of the time.

In a nutshell, Rockhoppers are good all round cross country bikes. The forks have 100mm of travel. Quite capable for general trails and most trail centres. You could prob get a bit more bang for you buck though for a 100mm xc bike.

A piglet is a steel hardtail with a bit more travel. Apparantly steel rides differently to aluminium so a different type of ride. Probably a bit heavier too. It has a bit more travel in the forks and geometry is more relaxed, so better for agressive riding, steeper rockier terrain etc

I like the look of the piglet, it's prob the 'better' bike, but not necessarily for your use if that makes sense?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The best bike is always the best bike for YOU and YOUR RIDING, so tell us what you do/don't like and what riding you do and people can make a suggestion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fergo
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Yes, it's steel and a very strong bike.
    Frankly, these two bikes are very different and I don't think you should just be tossing a coin between them. Do a bit more reading around or have a serious think about what sort of riding you want to do. Be realistic - most of us probably over estimate what were likely to be riding most of the time.

In a nutshell, Rockhoppers are good all round cross country bikes. The forks have 100mm of travel. Quite capable for general trails and most trail centres. You could prob get a bit more bang for you buck though for a 100mm xc bike.

A piglet is a steel hardtail with a bit more travel. Apparantly steel rides differently to aluminium so a different type of ride. Probably a bit heavier too. It has a bit more travel in the forks and geometry is more relaxed, so better for agressive riding, steeper rockier terrain etc

I like the look of the piglet, it's prob the 'better' bike, but not necessarily for your use if that makes sense?

Thanks for that - spesh comes in at 13.3kg and Piglet at 12.6kg.

As for my type of riding it is general XC, woods, trails - not so much DH or rocky terrain (although very 'stumpy' in places!). Would the Piglet not suit this?

The Piglet is meant to be RRP £1075 and at £640 seems a bargain, the spesh is £600 from £700.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I still say piglet.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I'm with oodboo. The Piglet would probably be ideal. It'd be my choice anyway. There's nothing it can't do that the Spec. can and vice-versa, but I'd go so far as to say the Piglet is likely a better 'all-round' bike than the Rockhopper.