Pads For My BB5's

Darkstalker420
Darkstalker420 Posts: 212
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi got a set of BB5's front and rear with AVID's sintered (red) pads. These seem to stop me ok and seem to be wearing well to. However at some point of course i will need to buy some more. I ride in MAINLY dry dusty conditions (my bike lives upstairs in the spare room so carting a filthy mud dropping bike up the stairs is a no no!). Yes i could of course wash the bugger BUT it's easier if i just stick to the dry days to be honest :roll: :oops:.

I was thinking of trying Kevlar pads (Superstar have them cheap for a 4 pack) and was wondering if i would notice any increase in braking power/pad life over the sintered i have now? I have read the reviews on Superstar and they go from "best thing since sliced bread lasted for months" to "rubbish wore down in a few runs" so to be honest it's a bit hard to decide from that. Are they better than sintered in the dry? or is it just a load of baloney and i should stick to sintered?? I'm prepared to sacrifice a LITTLE pad life IF the increase in power is noticeable. But not if they wear down in a week or two.

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They work better than sintered IMO, closer to organic, but don't last as long as sintered.
    For dryish conditions I'd recommend them, for horrible conditions sintered.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I got a 4 pack of kevlar pads as sintered were out of stock. I've done a good 2 months riding so far with them and there's no noticeable wear. Conditions haven't exactly been dry either. I'm well pleased!
  • Cheers for the advice guys will give them a blast when these sintered ones bite the dust.

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Although BB5's are the second best cable brakes (behind BB7's LOL) I would still go with Kevlar in most conditions over sintered for the extra 'bite' as you don't get quite the mechanical advantage you get with Hydro''s.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I quite like the BB5's to be honest. One was donated to me by someone on here (jimxbox) a while ago because the fork i bought second hand had no v brake bosses and he gave me one he had spare. I was impressed and when i built my new ride i added a second on (and speed dial 7's). I can still sitting endo my 90kg with a strong one finger pull on the levers :lol:. I imagine that Hydro disks would be a lot more powerful but to be honest i like the simplicity of cable pulls.

Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Biggest benefit of hydro's is that they are a lot lighter, in fact one complete end is lighter than just one of your callipers, but they are a bit more powerful (well the better ones, the cheaper ones no more so).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Wow! never thought the weight difference would be that much tbh. If these AVID's did fail i would probably give Hydros a go but i always have this fear (maybe stupidly :roll:) of getting a hose caught on something and ripping it out thus leaving me with no brakes and fluid squirting out all over the place! :shock:. Is this likely or is it just another urban mtb legend LMAO!

Thanks.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Its very unlikely IMO, unless you make a habit of trying to ride through bushes!
  • LMAO! it has been known once or twice :oops:..... Not intentionally mind.

Thanks.