Mtb vs road bike

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Evening all. First time posting on this 'ere site, so apologies if this has been covered before...

I commute daily to work as being only 2.5 miles each way, it seems criminal to drive! (plus, due to a demanding family life come the weekends, I get little chance otherwise).

Weather permitting, I vary between my Specialized rockhopper and my Allez elite. However, as my route takes me on a fairly rough old lane to work which also involves a short 100m or so over a dusty, gritty - or more usually, thanks to our lovely weather, sludgy surface I have been favouring the mountain bike. The few occasions recently I have used the road bike, I've punctured.

The problem being, the Mtb is slow. On the roadbike i can get to work in 8 minutes, ideal for getting to the clock on time! Thinking about possibly getting more use out of the road bike, I thought of looking at the cyclocross range of tyres. Looking at Wiggle, I have found favourable reviews of Shwalbes Sammy Slicks. Also like the idea of the reflective sidewall... Anyway, firstly, does anyone know if a 35c tyre will fit a Spesh Allez Elite, and secondly, is it really worth it?.. I try to get out on a Sunday for a three hour road ride when possible, so it will inevitably mean swapping tyres over, but hey, I've been using slicks on the mountain bike too !!! Shall I just stick with the mountain bike and get up earlier?

Ta :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Does 5 minutes or so make much difference?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    a 35c tyre wont fit an Allez

you are best sticking with the MTB for such a short commute... just ride faster

unless you just want a new bike then go for it 8)
  • Rhod81
    Rhod81 Posts: 116
    Cheers guys.

No, 5 minutes really doesn't make much of a difference. It's just I wanted to get a little more use out of the road bike really.

And thanks Clarkey... Saved me £40 there :wink: I'll just pedal harder and save my road bike for best :mrgreen:
  • or just get puncture resistant tyres for the road bike?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,713
    Surely there's an on road route that allows you to skip that section?