Tight chain link

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I was out at delamere forest yesterday and today i noticed a tight link which wasn't there before as in pics below, i have tried a bit of lateral twisting but it has done bugger all. In the third pic you can just make out that the pin is potruding more on one side than the other as well, will getting a chain tool and tweaking it be ok seeing as it's the connecting rivet or should i remove the link and get one of those sram powerlink jobbies.
It's not really tight but i'm assuming it's not a good idea to ride until it's sorted?
dsc0095hq.jpg
dsc0100eb.jpg
dsc0096fd.jpg
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looks like the joining pin. Would have been stiff before. Just use a chain tool appropriately to losen it off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • zanush
    Cheers ;)
    Tbh it could have been like that before and maybe i just didn't notice it lol.
    Just ordered a chain tool from crc so i'll hold off from riding until then, i'm now wondering if i should get a pack of sram powerlinks as they look pretty nifty for removing the chain for better cleaning rather than the crap halfords chain cleaner thingy i bought.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wirth carrying some around anyway for when your chain snaps on the trail. Which it will sooner or later.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I always carry 3 pairs of powerlinks and a small length of chain (about 4 links) plus have a chain tool on my multi-tool.......you can fix 99% of chain issues with that (I also have 2 powerlinks on my chain one inner link apart giving me a spare powerlink for the loss of just the biggest ring at the back if I'm desperate)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zanush
    I'm only getting started with this mtb malarkey so i doubt i'll be doing anything any time soon that requires me to carry around a small length of chain but i've ordered some powerlinks ;)
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Something as simple as the chain coming off and getting jammed by the chainset into the BB can bend 2 sets of outer plates, then your walking unless you have the means to fix it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.