Hybrid or tricross?

binka
binka Posts: 12
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
I'm going round in circles trying to decide what bike to get and need help/opinions please!

I've already got a good mountain bike. I've had to stop running due to back problems/slipped discs so have decided to bike mainly for fitness reasons. There's no mountain biking close to me so I've been taking my mountain bike out on the roads and decided I want something faster so I can do more miles.

Also a friend biked from London to Paris earlier this year and she's asked if I want to do it next year and I quite fancy it.

Most of the biking I do will be on the road but there are some good cycle paths on old railway lines near me which I'd like to be able to take the bike on. So I'm discounting a road bike.

I initially liked the idea of the more upright position of a specialized vita elite. But then I read that for long rides haing drop handle bars are more comfortable so then I started looking at the Specialized Tricross. But I have concerns that a bike with drop bars might give me back ache. I figure I could always put end bars on the vita for more hand positions to improve that aspect. But I've also read posts saying that drops are still better and don't generally cause back ache as the Triscross is still quite a relaxed position? And I can see that been able to move from hoods/drops/flat might actually be good for the back rather than been in one position.

One thing that concerns me about the vita is would it be light enough/fast enough to bike to Paris on? But then I suppose I need to focus on my more usual needs rather than a one off. I'd ideally like to go out and do about 20 miles after work.

The other problem I have is finding these bikes to try out. I need them in a small or a 49cm for the Tricross. Can't find either one within a 100mile radius. Is this because it's coming to the end of season? Will this improve shortly?

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Get the Tricross.

No really. Just get the damn' thing. 8)

It's perfectly fine with the more upright postion. I use mine for most of my longer runs and it soaks up light trail rides without breaking a sweat. I pretty much cycle all the time on the flats on my Tricross sport and it's been great for 100k+ rides.

It's actually my main commuting bike and I just remove the commuting gear (rack and 'guards) if I'm going for a longer weekend ride which takes me off road.

I'm seriously condsidering the n+1 to be another Tricross so i don't have to.

(Oh and you get a free cape)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • binka
    Excellent. The cape swings it for me! :wink:

Just need to bloody find one now in 49cm without having to go to the other end ofhthe country.

Thanks.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    definitely the tricross
  • Kieran_Burns
    Whereabouts are you?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    binka wrote:
    Most of the biking I do will be on the road but there are some good cycle paths on old railway lines near me which I'd like to be able to take the bike on. So I'm discounting a road bike.
    In good weather I ride 160 miles a week on cycle paths (also an old railway line coincidentally) on a road bike with 25mm tyres. It's a myth that road bikes can't cope with anything less than a perfect tarmac surface.

The tricross looks fine although I'd be putting slicker tyres on it for long distance road riding.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What MTB do you have?
  • binka
    I'm in Lincoln.

The mtb is a bit old now, over 20 years. Custom built and I've no idea of where from. It's aluminium, very light, no suspension at all. It was the best bike in town when I got it 18 years ago. Don't really know anything about it apart from I love it. Last time I took it into a bike shop about 12 years ago the guys there got really excited about it and kept saying that they didn't think I realised how good the bike is.
  • Kieran_Burns
    JE James isn't THAT far from you and they can order in the 49cm Tricross...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • supersonic
    binka wrote:
    I'm in Lincoln.

The mtb is a bit old now, over 20 years. Custom built and I've no idea of where from. It's aluminium, very light, no suspension at all. It was the best bike in town when I got it 18 years ago. Don't really know anything about it apart from I love it. Last time I took it into a bike shop about 12 years ago the guys there got really excited about it and kept saying that they didn't think I realised how good the bike is.

Would it be worth making a few changes to make it better on the road? Sounds like you have a light platform that could form a good basis for this.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    if you get the standard tricross change the tyres straight away, they are terrible. Absolutely zero puncture protection.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Another vote for the Tricross & I agree about the tyres. You'll probably want proper road tyres anyway - I'd say 28mm myself.

I'm 5'9'' and rode a 54cm if that helps - spot on for on road usage.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Kieran_Burns
    passout wrote:
    Another vote for the Tricross & I agree about the tyres. You'll probably want proper road tyres anyway - I'd say 28mm myself.

I'm 5'9'' and rode a 54cm if that helps - spot on for on road usage.

I run 28c Conti Ultras on mine, and they're fine on light trails
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Another vote for the tricross!

I'm similar to you.. I had a mountain bike and wasn't really using it as not much off roading by me. In feb though I put some slicks on just to see how I would get on doing road cycling more regularly before committing to buying a new bike.

By June I bought the tricross. It took some time to narrow down my wants and needs and see this was the best all rounder. I wanted a decent road bike but also wanted to be able to put a rack on so I can commute with it too. A lot of road bikes don't have this option, or the wheel span is shorter so you can end up catching your heels on panniers. With the tricross I upgraded the tyres to road ones (continentals) and the difference is amazing. My riding doesnt feel sluggish now. I did find the drop handlebars strange at first and didn't go into the drop position often, but its funny now I find I'm naturally wanting to do that as I've got used to the bike, and I do like having the different position options as I am a bit of a fidget and it was a problem on my mountain bike.

I'm 5'6 and got the 52cm frame. My local bike shop were excellent and were prepared to order in a couple of different frames/makes for me to try at no cost, as they would likely sell the bikes anyway.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    +1 on all the above re the Cross bikes. I think CX bikes are the biggest thing to happen in a while. They are so amazingly versatile, generally very tough, and they tick all the boxes for design and looks in the main. I only have room for one bike at the moment so I'm using the Cross bike for everything; commuting, road riding at the weekends, bit of towpath and trekking - I even did a loop over Ashtead Common that I usually do on a MTB - its just as good! Definitely the way to go if you're serious about riding but want options.

ps welcome to the forum laura2507
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • supersonic
    If you are more into MTBing side of things, I think a lightweight XC bike is more versatile - much faster over technical stuff. Hence why nobody riders CX bikes in MTB races, even though they are allowed.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    supersonic wrote:
    If you are more into MTBing side of things, I think a lightweight XC bike is more versatile - much faster over technical stuff. Hence why nobody riders CX bikes in MTB races, even though they are allowed.
    I agree with that, but if you're wanting to do more road riding then I'd definitely suggest the CX.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    You could also look at the Boardman CX bike or the Planet X Uncle John cross bike with SRAM rival - a £999 cyclescheme special.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.