Thinking about starting racing

Rich_137
Rich_137 Posts: 8
edited September 2012 in Amateur race
Hey guys,

After being massively unfit all my life i started triathlon 2 years ago and well, found something I love. And i'm quite good at... Sadly it wasn't swimming and running. But cycling!

I've had people suggest i look at road racing next season as i'm a pretty strong biker ( I can average 20mph over 100iles on training rides) and considering the bike i'm riding on i'm doing pretty good in races... I appreciate there are some massive differances between the cycling i'm doing now, and the cycling i would be doing if i switched next year. But hey if you don't give it a go then you could like to regret it... So i'd love to give racing a go!

Trying to find out as much info as I can now, so have any of you got any pearls of wisdom you'd be willing to share? Like clubs near bristol, races round here, average kind of speeds in races etc. As I just want to make sure i'm doing the right thing for me!

Cheers,

Rich

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Go and find a local chaingang or fast club run and start off with that. First thing you need to be is safe in a bunch. No offence but judging by today's Olympic traithlon it's possible to be world class and still not know how to handle a bike.

If you ask around at that you'll get to know which guys race and then get their advice. When you're happy riding with the fast guys in a bunch an APR is a good race type to start with. This is because it's handicapped and you'll be let off in smaller groups rather than go in with 80 riders in your first race.

You could always come up to Rothesay in September (plug plug http://www.rothesayweekend.co.uk/)
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dulldave wrote:
    Go and find a local chaingang or fast club run and start off with that. First thing you need to be is safe in a bunch. No offence but judging by today's Olympic traithlon it's possible to be world class and still not know how to handle a bike.

If you ask around at that you'll get to know which guys race and then get their advice. When you're happy riding with the fast guys in a bunch an APR is a good race type to start with. This is because it's handicapped and you'll be let off in smaller groups rather than go in with 80 riders in your first race.

You could always come up to Rothesay in September (plug plug http://www.rothesayweekend.co.uk/)

Yeah i'm not sure what really happened there today... Their bike handling was shocking!

I've done the whole group riding thing with my triathlon club so i'd like to think that i'd be ok at riding in a bunch... But it never hurt to brush up! Looking at joining one of my local "development" clubs that frequently changang all through the winter, as i don't think i'm going to be racing this year (i need a race legal bike to start with!)

Also means I can't come pay you a visit, sorry! ;)
  • Maglia
    Maglia Posts: 24
    A few points in no particular order:

1. Join a club. It adds another layer of interest if you're racing with club mates, helps with motivation and regular club runs during the winter will make sure that you know what you're doing when the racing starts.
    2. Work out what sort of races you can do in your local area and train accordingly. The kind of training you'll need to do differs depending on if you're preparing for Crits or a Road Races.
    3. 3/4s races often are decided in a sprint. There are few people who can ride away from a bunch and they aren't generally run at a speed that will whittle the field down. If you don't have a decent kick (I don't) then work on your strengths (One minute, five minute and twenty minute power)
    4. Don't get dispirited if you get shot out of the back in your first couple of races. I've met a few people who considered themselves to be reasonable cyclists who were genuinely shocked at the step up into 3/4s racing. If you can ride 100 miles at 20mph you'll probably be fine but the changes in pace might come as a bit of a shock.

I'd unreservedly recommend giving racing a go to anyone who's in the slightest bit interested. It's made me a much safer, stronger cyclist and I wish I'd done it properly in my twenties when a first cat license might not have been a forlorn dream!
  • Hi,

Bristol is good for riding, racing and joining clubs. I'm in Bristol and with the VC bristol (http://www.veloclubbristol.co.uk) We have a few experienced racers in our club and its all very social (sunday club runs, evening TT series and lots of social activity and big weekend rides)

There's a few chaingangs in Bristol. I've been to the 1 that goes from novia scotia at 6pm every tuesday. Riders range from elite and national level roadies to recreational riders.
  • Hi,

Bristol is good for riding, racing and joining clubs. I'm in Bristol and with the VC bristol (http://www.veloclubbristol.co.uk) We have a few experienced racers in our club and its all very social (sunday club runs, evening TT series and lots of social activity and big weekend rides)

There's a few chaingangs in Bristol. I've been to the 1 that goes from novia scotia at 6pm every tuesday. Riders range from elite and national level roadies to recreational riders.

I'd been looking around at clubs and that was one on my list actually! Where are they generally based from? As i'm about 15 mins ride north of bristol and would need to cycle in for club runs and chaingangs (not a problem for me, as i love cycling. But south bristol is a bit of a pain for me)

I'd join somewhere round here, but from my experience of my local club they wern't particularly err.. "friendly". So bristol based seems to be the way forward :)
  • 'd been looking around at clubs and that was one on my list actually! Where are they generally based from? As i'm about 15 mins ride north of bristol and would need to cycle in for club runs and chaingangs (not a problem for me, as i love cycling. But south bristol is a bit of a pain for me)

I'd join somewhere round here, but from my experience of my local club they wern't particularly err.. "friendly". So bristol based seems to be the way forward :)

Well sunday we cycle out from warmley (webbs of warmley) right by the cycle track. But we have members all over Bristol that meet up for rides anywhere really.

Really good atmosphere in the club. i came from mountain bike background and didn't experience any snobbish or cliqueness (turning up to my first time trial with hairy legs, peaked helmet and mountain bike shoes)

We started up some winter turbo training sessions last year (coached by a BC coach and master track champ) which have proved really popular (even top elites from other clubs turning up to train)

We also host our own road race in June which was won this year by our own club member Jason flooks

You can pop into the shop at webbs of warmley where simon can give any info about getting into racing (road or track) or contact me if you fancy a ride sometime
  • I can average 20mph over 100iles on training rides

You should start racing right now, if you can do that by yourself - awesome
  • Or apply online to British Cycling tonight and get a race licence. It takes about 10 days to come through and go and enter on the day at the nearest race to you. Otherwise post on the internet how well you can do in training and never really know.

You will enjoy the experience and do well.
  • I was wondering how long it would take to get a reply like that... :wink:
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Average pace in a training ride means squat really. You need to be able to deal with going from 20MPH to 30MPH over a very quick period multiple times. Best thing to do is give it a go.
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Trickydisco is right about Bristol. Some great clubs and lots of people into racing.

The Novia Scotia chaingang is good. Its been going for well over 20 years and is great for training. I get involved most weeks (im the Welsh guy who shouts a lot) but I'd not recommend it until you get some experience of riding in a group under your belt.

Veloclub guys seem like a nice bunch, but also check out Bristol South and of course the mighty Bristol RC :twisted: . Any of them will get you riding and chatting with people who race week in week out.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    DavidJB wrote:
    Average pace in a training ride means squat really. You need to be able to deal with going from 20MPH to 30MPH over a very quick period multiple times. Best thing to do is give it a go.

This ^

Averaging 20 mph over 100 miles isn't easy, but there will be plenty of riders who can, that don't get results for whatever reasons.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • When I started racing this year, the hardest thing I found was getting comfortable riding at speed so close to other people. Definitely get out for some group rides (BRC on a Saturday morning, VC Bristol etc.) and then just get out there and give it a shot. You will inevitably make mistakes in your first X races, but concentrate on riding comfortably, getting to the end and not crashing, then take it from there.

For what it's worth, I usually average 18-20 mph on solo 100km+ rides and have had no trouble (other than my first race at Easter) comfortably finishing with the bunch up at Castle Combe.

There aren't that many races left this year, so I'd recommend group rides, joining one of the above clubs, and then getting a licence at the start of next year so you can either do some of the winter series races or start at Easter up at Castle Combe.
  • Mr Hudd
    Mr Hudd Posts: 5
    Hi, being new to all this i was wondering if there were any veteran road races at a novice level. Cheers
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I question the validity of your measuring equipment that shows you average 20miles an hour for 100miles.
  • okgo
    Why?

For all we know he lives in a flat area with little traffic? I've done rides with a couple of others sharing the work of that length, with a couple of large climbs and we avg'd 21 mph
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Thought he meant solo. :shock:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Quite possible he meant solo, it is not an unachievable target to be honest as a solo rider, just depends on terrain and weather conditions, and obviously how fit you are. Not an easy thing to do, but it is doable.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Mr Hudd wrote:
    Hi, being new to all this i was wondering if there were any veteran road races at a novice level. Cheers

Check out LVRC. They let you ride with an older age group to get used to racing (rather than riding just with novices).
  • okgo
    lawrences wrote:

Even if he did?

Reckon I could do that, and I know plenty (including the bloke above by the looks of his rides) that certainly could, have or can.
  • okgo wrote:
    Why?

For all we know he lives in a flat area with little traffic? I've done rides with a couple of others sharing the work of that length, with a couple of large climbs and we avg'd 21 mph

In terms of average speed, flat areas are not as easy as most people think (I live in Cambridge, the flattest area in the UK).

Just to show in theory, consider a 5 mile course:

Go find a nice even hill (say a 3-5% grade), ride for 2.5miles, then turn around and ride another 2.5miles back to the start.
    If (for example) your average speed going up the hill is 15mph, and your average down the hill is 35mph.

Go find a nice even flat road, ride for 2.5miles, then turn around and ride another 2.5miles back to the start.
    Average on the flat road will be about 20mph.

If you did the above as one lap and rode 20 laps to get a total 100miles:
    *The hilly laps will complete 4hours 45minutes 36seconds.
    *The flat laps will complete in 5 hours.

Therefore, average speed for the entire ride:
    *The hilly route = 21mph
    *The flat route = 20mph

Obviously, these are not exact figures ;) Just trying to prove flat areas are not as easy as most people think (when riding on your own).
  • okgo
    Depends really. But you'll find most flat races are a lot faster than most non flat races, 2/3 races on the flat 25+ mph average over 70 miles. Hilly 2/3 races 23-24 from my findings.
  • okgo wrote:
    Depends really. But you'll find most flat races are a lot faster than most non flat races, 2/3 races on the flat 25+ mph average over 70 miles. Hilly 2/3 races 23-24 from my findings.

Fair enough; obviously the stats don't lie.

Also depends (as someone else said) about the environment, for example over the last two months, here in Cambridge, the wind has every day been blowing a minimum 10mph. With very little shelter from hills or even many trees, the wind get's very strong and a lot of the time riding into a 10mph wind with 15-20mph gusts, it's hard work.... I'd happily take hills over a windy flat.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic so back to topic.... (I have no race experience), but would maybe think about trying one or two next year.
  • Mr Hudd
    Mr Hudd Posts: 5
    hammerite wrote:
    Mr Hudd wrote:

Check out LVRC. They let you ride with an older age group to get used to racing (rather than riding just with novices).
    Cheers for that
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Mr Hudd wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    Mr Hudd wrote:

Cheers for that

yes, but the races are still grouped together for the races... eg C's D's and E's and you are left working out whoever is in the break is in your age cat! :wink:
  • lawrences wrote:

Yep I do mean solo... Over a ride that is stupidly hilly for the first hour where I averaged around 15mph, and the following 4 hours of flat/minor undulations where I was pushed and held 20-22+ for the remaining 4 hours

It's not that hard tbh, as I pushed 20mph+ average at IMUK 3 weeks ago. And before you question that, chip timing doesnt lie.

Anyways, speed aside. I've decided i'm going to focus on the world long distance duathlon championships next year, so probably won't end up racing now. But thanks for the advice! ;)
  • i started racing myself this year and its absoluuutely good fun. accelerations from corners, staying on the wheel, and knowing when to work on the front and when not too are the keys. actual speeds are soo up and down.
  • DavidJB
    okgo wrote:

nm
  • okgo
    huh?
  • DavidJB
    okgo wrote:
    huh?

I composed a reply but then decided it wasn't really relevant / I didn't read your post correctly so edited it away to history.