edited August 2012 in Road general
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    There's no need to double post.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Sorry, I did not know where to place it.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    Best just to pick one place and go for it. This is actually already being discussed in the commuting forum, of all places!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    edited August 2012
    If I had 10 grand burning a hole in my pocket (which I don't) I'd be tempted. Even if it wasn't Wiggins's, it's got to be worth at least £7000 just as a bike. I'd probably only be hypothetically tempted if it was my size though (which it's not).

P.S. You're really not doing it any favours by photographing it with the bars turned down and the seat post rammed down as far as it will go... :wink:
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    If I win the lottery then I'll let you know
  • ben@31 wrote:

This sort if thing just pi**es me off beyond beleif! There will be plenty of other people out there who entered the competition who would actually have appreciated it, instead of just seeing it as one big money grab :roll:

Oh and no, after discovering how they came by it, I wouldn't buy it even if I did have the money! If they didn't want it, then why did they enter in the first place?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    If a cyclist had won it, and had sold it on to buy a bike that fit, and let the market dictate the price instead of just sticking a reserve of £10k on then I would have no issue. This is just some greedy **** that is profiteering from winning a bike he has no intention of riding and has no sentimental value to him. He has also stopped a real cycling fan winning the comp (though it is highly unlikely he was the only entrant who was thinking if cashing in).

So the principle of selling on I have little issue with, the conditions under which he is selling, I do. It sounds like Sky are hacked off with him as well.
  • neeb
    A bit harsh without knowing the circumstances... what if this wasn't the only prize in the competition and the OP was hoping to win something else? What if he only entered for a bit of fun? No-one with any sense really expects to win when they enter a big nation-wide competition.

Doubtless it was ridiculously easy to enter and all you had to do was answer some question like "who was the winner of the TdF this year? Was it a) Bradley Higgins b) Bradley Wiggins or c) Bradley Smith?". If competition organisers want the prizes to go to deserving fans they should make the entrants work for it instead of setting up the competitions to maximise the number of expensive premium rate phone calls. I'm sure that Sky's marketing department didn't set up the competition out of the goodness of their own hearts, a bit rich to accuse the winner of being money grabbing...
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The seller could easily offer to donate 50% of the sale value to Wiggins foundation thingy or Team Sky's charity partners ... Or even his local cycling club to buy bikes and kit for juniors ... It's not difficult not to be a complete kunt ...

The dude is entitled to do with it as he pleases though ...
  • neeb
    The seller could easily offer to donate 50% of the sale value to Wiggins foundation thingy or Team Sky's charity partners ... Or even his local cycling club to buy bikes and kit for juniors ... It's not difficult not to be a complete kunt ...

The dude is entitled to do with it as he pleases though ...
    Hmm, I don't think Sky donate 50% of their profits to charity... :wink:
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'm sure that Sky's marketing department didn't set up the competition out of the goodness of their own hearts, a bit rich to accuse the winner of being money grabbing...

Sky won't profit from the phone line revenue, and were unlikely to have set the competition question. The return on investment for Sky is a branding and PR one. The guy could easily avoid any criticism by letting the market dictate the price or donating a percentage of proceeds to charity. He has nothing to lose after all.

In all honesty I'm not that bothered, I didn't enter the competition but the guy has to understand why people are reacting negatively to the auction.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    If I won it I would do exactly the same and sell it immediatley! I'd use the money to spend on my car or a new car. As much as I like all the pro bikes spending that much on a bike to ride is retarded. 10K reserve as perhaps a little high, but then there might be a couple of rich collectors out there...
  • The list price of a dogma with those specs is worth over 10,000 grand.If it was ridden by wiggins it would be worth a lot more so the decal of his name means nothing.