Conti Mountain Kings, or maxxis Ardent/crossmark combo?

symanoy
symanoy Posts: 123
edited September 2012 in MTB buying advice
Sorry to post another tyre thread but I've been researching this for a while and come to the point where I need some advice!

I've been riding some Conti verticals for the past few years, only the standard wire versions (I know tut tut) and overall I've been pretty happy with them!

Got to that point where I'm looking for a change, possibly something a little bit faster?

In terms of riding style, Ride XC/trails round Surrey Hills, Aston Hill up in Bucks and the occasional visit to the Welsh trails centres. planning on getting some dedicated mud tyres for winter months, so looking for more of a summer/spring/autumn kinda tyre.

Mountain King seems to get alot of love for UK riding and seems to be a solid choice. Then WMB love the Ardent which also seems to get alot of positivity, thinking of matching it up with a Crossmark rear.

These are currently my two options, would be going for folding/protection/ better compounds versions of the tyres. So tell me for my riding whats best? A suggestion for an alternative pairing f/r is also welcomed but im not really looking for a totally new tyre.

Cheers!
Giant Trance X2 Build Sadly since stolen!
replaced with Giant Trance MKII

Comments

• Coolnick
    Coolnick Posts: 380
    A cheaper alternative that works well is the Specialized Purgatory up front with Captain on the rear. Decent tyres, tubeless ready and good price at £30 each.
    Boardman HT Comp 2012>
    Spesh Rockhopper 2004 - 2012
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Coolnick wrote:
    Specialized Purgatory

Great tyre, used it loads.

with Captain on the rear

Good tyre, but if you're doing anything rocky or rough prepare for lots of punctures.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Coolnick wrote:
    A cheaper alternative that works well is the Specialized Purgatory up front with Captain on the rear. Decent tyres, tubeless ready and good price at £30 each.

I had a Purg on the rear of mine which worked fine too - little bit draggy but no big deal.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bellys
    bellys Posts: 456
    smorgasbord front and rear. My mate is running them and rates them...
    I was running Highroller front and crossmark rear work well but on muddy climbs the crossmark is not very good but for fast dry trails or tail centers Grip is good.
    Now changed to Kenda blue grove front and highroller rear.
    If the trails were a bit dryer I would keep the crossmark on.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Symanoy - i have exactly the same requirements so will watch your thread with interest. FYI i bought bontrager mud-x for winter and was happy with them last year.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    symanoy wrote:
    ...love the Ardent which also seems to get alot of positivity, thinking of matching it up with a Crossmark rear

Trailtastic! 60a folders work very well and they're not too heavy.

Swap the Ardent for an Advantage for a slightly more gnar combo
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Whacked an Ardent on my bike a couple of weeks ago, I think its excellent. Paired it with an X-King Black Chilli at the back, seems to work well.
  • Mountain King black chillis are bloody great.
    And so are Maxxis Ignitors.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    Symanoy - fyi after reading a bit more and following advice from someone in the thread i started i decided to get 2.2 rubber queen on front and 2.2 mountain king protection version on back. Both are black chilli. I hope that helps - I ordered from the german store.

I would promise to give you an update once they arrive but I am too inept and clueless to provide you with any meaningful feedback. The reality is that if they go round with the wheels and don't pop too much I will feel I am on to a winner. I guess it's good to know ones shortcomings. :oops:
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • Mountain King B chilli front and back on the HT, from Cinders. The Contis are a world apart, much faster and gripier than the Cinders, much better.
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer