Straightning a Shimano RT76 rotor

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Cleaned my bike ready for my trip away on Monday. Sun is shining so I decide I will just have a quick spin check the gears are just right. Halfway round I decide to nip down a little sneaky track and cut a corner off because its started to rain. Come to bend and the back end steps out and THUD I wrap myself round a Sycamore tree. Boinged the front disc so badly had to take pads out to ride home.

The RT76 is the 6 bolt one with an aluminium centre with the steel rotor riveted to it has anyone managed to straighten one been having a go with my disc straightening tools (2 x 6 inch adjustables) and it wont shift I have bent it back to a point where a normal disc would be bent too far the other way and it just pings back to its starting position. Dont fancy bending it any further just in case the ally centre goes. Anyone had a go at straightening one of these and did it work. It took a fair whack you could see on the tree where the disc had cut a gouge out of the bark.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might as well have a go bending it some more as it's fubared anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Spent ages on it and admitted defeat. Its not going to straighten but fair enough trying to knock a tree over is going to turn any disc into a Pringle.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And at this point a Pringle would be as useful and more tasty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bonezy
    bonezy Posts: 129
    One is never enough though :(