Spesh Hardrock 2009 upgrading

drewk1
drewk1 Posts: 61
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I have a well used Specialized Hardrock sport disc
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hardrock-sport-disc-2009-mountain-bike-ec016012#features

I would like to replace the worn out Sram X-4 parts with Sram X-7 as I have the shifters and front mech in my spares box.

I plan on using a Sram 9 speed cassette and chain but am unsure if the Chainset ( SR SunTour, Octalink spline ) will be ok with a 9 speed chain or if I need to replace that as well?

I'm finding it hard to find any detailed info on the chainset.

Very happy with my Hardrock and want to take the oppurtinity to upgrade rather than replace like for like.

Any advice appreciated.

Spesh Hardrock Sport Disc 2009
Focus Cayo 2.0
Dawes Scorpio beater

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    The chainset will be fine. It worked for me! It's just a straight swap for all the other parts.
  • drewk1
    Thats good news
    Planning to replace it soon anyway

Focus Cayo 2.0
    Dawes Scorpio beater
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We converted the lads Spesh (P1 - X4 and X5)) from 8 to 9, crankset worked fine however the 8 speed front mech was really fussy and needed continual tweaking as the sweetspot was so narrow, so we replaced it with a narrower 9 speed and it now works perfectly.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • drewk1
    I have a x-7 9 speed front mech so I'm hoping all will be good.

Its good that I can get by with the original chainset for the moment.

Thanks again for the input

Focus Cayo 2.0
    Dawes Scorpio beater