Old mountain bike any good?

Ghost Rider 3000
Ghost Rider 3000 Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
My friend has a steel frame mountain bike which must be 20 years old! :shock: with no suspension of any kind :shock: The bike is in perfect condition just 2 decades old! Would anyone buy one of these and just upgrade the things that needed upgrading? or would it be better to just buy a new one?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some bits might not be upgradable due to the standards used. But if it works, it should be fine for easier trails (or harder, if he is a good rider!). Also see Retrobike forum.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I've been riding MTB bikes for 24yrs and I can confirm that new bikes are better. Obviously the technology, geometries etc have evolved. I always thought that the aheadset system was a big advance - I was forever tightening up quill stems & I'd miss disc brakes off road. I'm actually lesss bothered about suspension. That said an old could MTB be used as hybrids are used today, XC routes & may actually be pretty durable. Some of the old shimano / suntour componets used to last ages - XT thumbshifters etc. May as well use it as is (for lighter duties) I reckon. I wouldn't upgrade though - not worth it & modern suspension forks would probably raise the front end etc.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have one from '87 and while I can ride the same places, albeit somewhat slower, it's nowhere near as much fun as my full sus.
    Hurts more, especially the arms and hands. There's a reason why discs have replaced cantis amongst sensible people.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • binka
    binka Posts: 12
    My mountain bike is over 20 years old withno suspension. Don't think suspension was invented when I bought it! It's an awesome bike and goes over and down anything I chuck it at. Saying that I've never ridden anything else so maybe I don't know what I'm missing!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Weight will be the main factor which will of course slow you down climbing hills etc. A new bike even with front suspension could be as much as 10lb lighter or more.
  • cooldad
    Rubbish. Weight depends on how it was made, not when.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    cooldad wrote:

Steel framed 20 yr old bike? Whatever
  • cooldad
    Rigga wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

There were a number of seriously excellent, lightweight frames - steel doesn't mean heavy.
    My very old Reynolds tube road bike (large) is significantly lighter than my son's modern, aluminium Trek.
    My '87 steel Rockhopper is a similar weight to my fairly recent aluminium Marin HT.
    And my full sus Kona is lighter than both.

There's a difference between gas pipe BSOs and well designed butted frames.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Steel framed road bikes used super slim tubes, MTB's didn't, my 1997 Steel GF frame is competative with modern steel frames but at just under 2.5Kg it's 3/4Kg heavier than my Carrera frame and the steel forks are heavier than my 100mm suspension forks while the (1 1/8th) Quill stem weighs a frankly unbelievable 0.5Kg.

For light XC however it could still be a nice ride and we have a few people in our club that wheel out Retro's occasionally when we agree we'll select a slightly less rough route, and a few die hards who ride rigid almost all the time anyway, modern lightweight tyres, slightly wider than would have been used 15-20 years ago make the ride a bit nicer.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Rigga wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Kona Kilauea, 1992, 22lbs with front suspension. Whatever.
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rigga wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Year right. There were a lot of very light steel frames back then.

As said it all depends on what the bike is. Just like now there are and we're a whole pile of heavy bikes.

Can say I can see any comment on what the bike is or even what the year is.

So offering any advice come down to what one may think the bike is.

http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/ri ... 992_02.jpg

ritchey1992_02.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown