Hutchinson Serenity Tyres - Anyone?

SouthernDave
SouthernDave Posts: 33
edited August 2012 in Commuting general
Just seen the article on here, here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/e ... ube-27692/

And the youtube advert here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOThBxjjCg

Seem like a great idea for slacker-commuters like me. Anyone used them? Heard of them? Article from 2010 so guess they have had long enough to hit the market......

Comments

• The inner tube is incredibly heavy at 1kg! The tyre doesn't seem very durable either.

http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/page.php?nom=PRODUITpp&key=13653&FROM=froogle-uk

I wouldn't recommend it. You're better off with a good old Marathon Plus and normal inner tube.
  • Thanks for reply. I note the weights are for the large tyres, I have a folder with 20" wheels/tyres so perhaps a little less weight and would this make such a difference on a folding commuter rather than, say, a race prepped road bike?

Secondly, I couldn't see from the link why the tyres wouldnt be that durable....?

Not knocking your reply at all, just want to be sure of the info before making a decision!! Has anyone actually GOT some of these tyres/tubes in any size?
  • In the link I posted down at the bottom it says the tyre has a life of 5000km (3100miles). Now look at this: http://rhodeskc.tumblr.com/post/10472829785/mr-tw-williams-i-present-to-you-this-schwalbe
  • Thanks for replies, but I chose another route. After yet another damn puncture and another call to the wife-provided AA relay, I dropped the bike into the shop and got a new set of tough tubes fittes shrouded in a pair of well 'ard BMX tyres which are a lot tougher than the tissue thin ones provided with the bike, and lastly I got them to treat both wheels with Slime. Hopefully this should work. First ride felt a little sluggish and undoubtedly there has been weight added with this tyre choice, but I'd prefer that than a puncture every week. Will post how I get on but first I got another problem in the workshop bit....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Your better off maintaining your tyres a little, keeping them up to pressure and not riding on crap. If you are puncturing every week, it is your own fault and not the tyres! :wink:

Even Marathon Plus is overkill unless you are running a cycle hire business.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Your better off maintaining your tyres a little, keeping them up to pressure and not riding on crap. If you are puncturing every week, it is your own fault and not the tyres! :wink:

I'll take this as tongue in cheek rather than an insult, but I feel I am being generous......

I ride a cycle trail, not on the road, as it is a straight route and traffic free. Sadly, like many places in this world, it is plastered in crap like sharp grit, crushed glass, and natural debris like thorns etc. Tyres are maintained and pumped up, but I fail to see how this prevents shards of glass puncturing them? As for avoidance, well, if I can upgrade my eyes to see at a microscopic level about 20 feet ahead of me at all times, I don't know what else I can do......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

I'll take this as tongue in cheek rather than an insult, but I feel I am being generous......

I ride a cycle trail, not on the road, as it is a straight route and traffic free. Sadly, like many places in this world, it is plastered in crap like sharp grit, crushed glass, and natural debris like thorns etc. Tyres are maintained and pumped up, but I fail to see how this prevents shards of glass puncturing them? As for avoidance, well, if I can upgrade my eyes to see at a microscopic level about 20 feet ahead of me at all times, I don't know what else I can do......

If you are riding on unusual surfaces, and after tyre recommendations, you probably ought to mention it then! It's kind of important for all of us who aren't psychic :lol:

Incidentally, by maintenance I mean regularly digging foreign materials out of the tyres. Often the thing that punctures the inner tube has been in the tyre for some time.
    Faster than a tent.......