Cleat screws falling out

ad_snow
ad_snow Posts: 469
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I've been cycling with cleats/clipless pedals for the last 2 weeks (covering around 80 miles) and I noticed that during that time, the top screw in both of the cleats have fallen out somewhere... I assume this is from clipping in/out during rides and then coming loose... does this happen to anyone else? Is it normal to have to keep making sure they are tightly screwed in all the time?

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not for me. Nip them up tight but not tight enough to strip the threads and they stay in. Mine do. Thee might be a torque setting somewhere in the packing.

Cleats are in a very exposed area so dob a bit of grease or copperslip on each screw when you fit them, so that you can get them out when you want to.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    One of my mine just fell out too (lost) I've used some threadlock on them now.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i lost the the top screw out of my left shoe, i tend to unclip 99% of the time with the left and the others had cme loose and actually couldn't unclip when i got back home a few weeks ago....the inevitable happened lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Yep, mine did the same and I lost the screw and the plate.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The men in white coats have been after him for a long time !!

(oh yeah, I use a dab of thread lock to prevent this)
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved