Building up distance

boh67
boh67 Posts: 71
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Hi recently took up cycling again for a sponsored cycle. ive got the bug and have gotten a second hand road bike. I usually do about 9 miles around the local area (low on fitness) but im wondering how to build up the distances. Does anyone have a programme they have used, or is it as simple as being incremental and how i feel at the longer distance ?

Comments

• mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    I found an incremental approach was best (for me at least). I started doing 5-7mile rides around country parks etc but then found road routes of 10miles which I did a few times then upped to 15 and so on. Did not take long to to doing 40 plus miles. www.bikehike.co.uk is great for looking for nice routes.
  • boh67
    mikeabanks wrote:
    I found an incremental approach was best (for me at least). I started doing 5-7mile rides around country parks etc but then found road routes of 10miles which I did a few times then upped to 15 and so on. Did not take long to to doing 40 plus miles. http://www.bikehike.co.uk is great for looking for nice routes.

Cheers mate
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Rule of thumb - don't increase training by more than 10% a week, at most. Build it slowly, or suffer the injuries!
  • boh67 wrote:
    Does anyone have a programme they have used

Yep. I am just finishing week 12 of this program. A nice easy week :mrgreen:
    Week 13 looks a bit more challenging though :shock:

http://www.action.org.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/events/generic/generic_cycling_training_guide_2.pdf
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Don't just work on distance. Sometimes it's good to do your normal route but with a lot more effort thrown in, especially if you're pushed for time and can't do a long run. Just remember that pain is weakness leaving the body :twisted:
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • boh67
    Cheers all
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Individual starting physique, time and ability can all be factors. My own experience was after an absence of 35 years from cycling I bimbled around the block on a hybrid for 10 miles for a few rides thinking it was a good distance because I'd averaged 11mph and was knackered afterwards. I then woke up to the fact some guys put in some really serious miles in their rides. Bought a road bike and upped the miles gradually from 10 to 15, to 25, to 35 to 50. Switched to a carbon frame and increased to 60 and then 100+ in less than twelve months. Now, I get to ride once a week if I'm lucky and often end up going a couple of weeks without riding, which is why my progress was slow, but my thought process is that covering distance is down to the thoughts going around your head (that will try and talk you out of it) and how much pain your rear end can take until you get used to it. Speed and distance are another thing and is my next target.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Secteur wrote:
    Rule of thumb - don't increase training by more than 10% a week, at most. Build it slowly, or suffer the injuries!

One of the great things about cycling is that if you don't fall off you won't injure yourself.

If you can ride 10 miles you can immediately step up to a 30-40 mile ride. If you feel tired/rough following or the next day that's not injury, it's a sign that you were unfit. It's actually a good sign, it means your body recognises that it's being asked to do something different and will adapt accordingly, making you fitter.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • boh67
    bahzob wrote:
    Secteur wrote:

One of the great things about cycling is that if you don't fall off you won't injure yourself.

If you can ride 10 miles you can immediately step up to a 30-40 mile ride. If you feel tired/rough following or the next day that's not injury, it's a sign that you were unfit. It's actually a good sign, it means your body recognises that it's being asked to do something different and will adapt accordingly, making you fitter.

i usually do the same 9 mile circuit ( i have done the circuit 5 times). Yesterday i took 6 mins off my previous best time. Im unsure whether to step up the distance or keep doing the same circuit to build up base fitness :?:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Step up the distances and get some variation in your route to avoid seeing the same thing every time you're out on the bike.

Shaving (hacking more like) 6 minutes off a 9 mile course shows that you're still at the huge gains stage. As you improve further the gains will be less but you'll enjoy it a lot more.

Stick at it.