The only Essex Idiot ??

charlie_potatoes
charlie_potatoes Posts: 1,921
edited August 2012 in Road beginners
Didn't see a single cyclist out this morning whilst I did a 40 mile lap in the torrential rain?

Mrs Potatoes reckons it's because I am the only idiot who is sad enough to be out in it :cry:

Help me out here chaps/chapettes anyone else get a soaking or am I really that sad??
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

Comments

• I did think about it...........
    ........................but decided to stay in bed instead!
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I am very much a fair weather rider, just as I am at my other sport, golf.
    This year though I want to carry over some of my hard earned fitness into the spring so I will be out come wind, rain, hail or snow.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    Where in Essex were you riding? Nice and sunny here now
  • dave35 wrote:
    Where in Essex were you riding? Nice and sunny here now

Wickford, Baddow, Chelmsford, Galleywood, Stock, Billericay etc.

I set out at sunrise.. Normally see at least a dozen Cyclists.

Perhaps Mrs. Potatoes is right :D
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nothing wrong with you riding in the rain. It is a shame more don't do it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Just to state perhaps the obvious - if it's raining I don't go out but I don't shorten a ride if I'm out and it rains.

Last ride with rain was 50 mls. It was horrible.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    sad??

No, dedicated. 8)

If you do see another cyclist they are probably a cut above all the ones that stayed in.

If it rains I stay in. :lol:

Can't get the bike wet...
  • Not only do I not want to get wet but my tyres don't like the wet. They appear to be lose their grip and more prone to punctures. I only get punctures in the wet! Wet = avoidance!
    Graham

Cube lightening hpc race 2012 - red,white and blue
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I got soaked this morning... It was beautiful when I headed out at about 8.45 but the heavens absolutely opened later on. I've never seen rain like like it....could barely see through it.... If I'd known it was going to wazz it down like that I wouldn't have gone out!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I was out today and saw loads of riders out in the rain, im in the Epping area, its full on cycling up here! Come this way :D
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I was out yesterday - did a loop Loughton > Waltham > Cuffley > Welwyn GC > Hertford > Hoddesdon > Waltham > Loughton.

Is it just me, or was the wind blowing in all four directions? I went west, north, east, south, and had a headwind all the way. Plus Hertfordshire has more hills than Essex. Horrible place. :lol:
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    No. I live in south essex - and I'm an idiot.lol
  • Gladiator wrote:
    I was out today and saw loads of riders out in the rain, im in the Epping area, its full on cycling up here! Come this way :D

It's within range :wink:
  • RPD Steve wrote:
    No. I live in south essex - and I'm an idiot.lol

That's reassuring. Thanks Steve :mrgreen:
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Went out in North Somerset yesterday morning, did two laps of Burrington before giving up and rolling home completing only 30 miles instead of adding Cheddar and upping the distance to closer to 50 miles.

It was like completing the first two elements of the a triathlon - flipping unpleasent - I guess that indicates that I was inappropriately dressed in only a s/s shirt and gillet although I am not sure any other waterproof would have achieved much other than cooking me!

There was so much water running down the road that I could spot stones being carried towards me and I had to stay out in the middle of teh lane to avoid the torrent running down the two feet from the gutter.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Gizmo_ wrote:
    I was out yesterday - did a loop Loughton > Waltham > Cuffley > Welwyn GC > Hertford > Hoddesdon > Waltham > Loughton.

Is it just me, or was the wind blowing in all four directions? I went west, north, east, south, and had a headwind all the way. Plus Hertfordshire has more hills than Essex. Horrible place. :lol:

Tell me about it, felt exactly the same on the Epping loop!