Do runners slipstream?

blackpoolkev
blackpoolkev Posts: 474
edited August 2012 in The cake stop
Cyclists are well drilled on the advantages of using the slipstream of the rider in front.

With the Olympic athletics season upon us,it seems to me that runners don't seem bothered with the slipstream effect.If marathon runners used the same principles as cyclists,surely they would line up behind the runner in front.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    They're not going fast enough for it to make a difference. It's about splitting air; at 12mph there's virtually no advantage in following someone unlike blatting along at 32mph behind the guy making all the effort has a big advantage, as we all know.

Power is either squared or cubed for each doubling of speed. Someone who's had fewer wine units will be along soon to confirm. :|
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    you are correct, cubed.

If you double the wind speed the power is increased by 8 times.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I always thought distance runners did it but may have been tactical, like a sprinter wanting to come from the back.
    It may not save much energy at that speed but at the top level, any efficiencies can make all the difference I would have thought.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    They are going fast enough that there's a benefit - it's part of why pacemakers are required in a marathon, but the benefit is not very large and there's an associated cost of having to make micro changes of pace to stay behind the other athlete, but they do draft. When it's windy - which you won't really see on TV then drafting can become more significant.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    Do runners get in breakaways?
    Mañana
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It can make a difference on the longer distance, road events - as someone who used to race marathons weighing 8.5 stone, I found it a distinct advantage to tuck-in behind a big guy when running into a headwind at 10mph.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    Course they do.

It's just a lot less significant.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    an an ex -runner with some international experience - on the road, yes they do slipstream, although the benefits are greater on the road than in a protected stadium. And much depends on temperature too, there is an energy saving, but it is negated by lack of cooling on hot days.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Being out of the wind isn't the only benefit of sitting behind someone. There is also the psychological edge of having the pace set for you and having the advantage of surprise when you break.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,079
    plus the added motivation if its a female in front with a nice ar5e
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Don't forget that if you're in behind you can accidentally drag your spikes down the runner in front's achilles ..
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    matthew h wrote:
    And the "Concorde Effect".

When it was getting up to speed it's nose came up to give a more aerodynamic profile...
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    And the "Concorde Effect".

When it was getting up to speed it's nose came up to give a more aerodynamic profile...

I thought the nose went down to give the pilots visibility when climbing. :?:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    So what speed does it start becoming significant at?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    pipipi wrote:
    So what speed does it start becoming significant at?

Depends how long you're running for as much as speed.

I notice it on the bike at 20kph in a headwind.
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    Being really technical, the force required to balance drag is proportional to the square of the airspeed. The power required is the force multiplied by the groundspeed for a wheel-driven vehicle. In still air, air and ground speed are equal, so power is proportional to groundspeed cubed - in head or tailwinds, a little more complicated. To demonstrate this - try holding the bike still in, say, a 30mph headwind by e.g. using the brakes - you're not developing any power but you're balancing drag. To do 30mph in still air takes more effort, but the drag force is the same.