OT drugged up swimmers...SPOLIERS

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
So a 17 y. o. American has just knocked half a second of the world record for 200m women's backstroke. How long before the American who cast doubt on the Chinese girl's performance pipes up about drugs.....what's that you say? He won't??? Why ever not?

Comments

• asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Is it five seconds faster than his/her previously recorded personal best?

I don't follow swimming closely at all, but I can totally see why some people are a bit skeptical about the Chinese lass' performance, even casting aside much of the history of doping in the sport (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_in_China). As I understand it, such leaps in performance are rare, but not completely unheard of.

Let's bear in mind that drug testing tends to lag behind doping (e.g. EPO use through the 1990s; first sporting detection in 2002). Her result should stand unless proven tainted at some point in the future, but I think the suspicions are legitimate and shouldn't be shouted down with accusations of racism.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Mildly amusing follow-up in the interests of answering my own question.

Different race, I think, but American Katie Ledecky beat Rebecca Adlington with a similar jump over her personal best, according to the telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympi ... -gold.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Ian Thorpe made what seemed to be a valid point on the BBC chat after the Ledecky/Adlington race.
    Her jump was over 800m, so effectively less of a jump per metre swum. Plus, she's only 15. You'd expect her to make rapid improvements at that age.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Anyone knowledgeable on the subject of hormones added to meat in the USA and swimming performance?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ian Thorpe made what seemed to be a valid point on the BBC chat after the Ledecky/Adlington race.
    Her jump was over 800m, so effectively less of a jump per metre swum. Plus, she's only 15. You'd expect her to make rapid improvements at that age.

This seems plausible. Shiwen swimming faster than Lochte for her final 50m, not so much.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    in the interest of fairness should we be asking questions about a team who set a world record every time for their last six outings?
    FCN = 4
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    The BBC radio program More or Less discussed this.

Good, but within normal bounds.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    in the interest of fairness should we be asking questions about a team who set a world record every time for their last six outings?

Beating them by a few hundredths of a second is not the same as beating them by whole seconds and even then out of the blue.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Didn't they custom build the world's best velodrome with optimum conditions unmatched in the world? I doubt anyone will say the water in the pool is different.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    There was a Japanese sprinter, built like a long distance runner, who got to the 100m semi finals and ran 10.10.

In another 100m semi finals there was a Chinese sprinter, he came last but ran 10.28.

The Beijing Olympics must have created a cultural shift towards focusing on and developing Sports in Asia.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Paul E
    thelawnet wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Didn't they custom build the world's best velodrome with optimum conditions unmatched in the world? I doubt anyone will say the water in the pool is different.

There is a report of a reporter asking one of the swimmers if the pool was a quick one, that reflects more on the state of sports reporting than anything else though
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Paul E wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

There is a report of a reporter asking one of the swimmers if the pool was a quick one, that reflects more on the state of sports reporting than anything else though

I heard it's downhill with a nice cross-tail.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    They should have a swimming event against the flow at the White water Centre :P
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    They tried it with heavy water but the competitors didn't react well to the idea.

Opinion was 'split' on whether it should continue
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    They tried it with heavy water but the competitors didn't react well to the idea.

*Like* :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    vermin wrote:

*Like* :lol:

These puns do take effort you know :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    cjcp wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

This seems plausible. Shiwen swimming faster than Lochte for her final 50m, not so much.

That wasn't the first time Lochte got beaten by the equivalent woman in the same event on the home straight.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    and maybe the cycling succes is down to them 'special wheels' we've bin riding!
    FCN = 4
  • Paul E
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    and maybe the cycling succes is down to them 'special wheels' we've bin riding!

Yeah we choose round ones, very special
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,316
    thelawnet wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Was the Cube in Bejing not reputed to be a 'fast' pool?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    There are fast pools and slow pools (wife is a former competitive swimmer).

As I understand it, the difference is in whether the pool drains over a lip at the edges or not. One reflects disturbances in the water back across the surface of the pool, making it choppier, and the other kills surface disturbances, making for a smoother surface.

One of the other weird things about Yi Shiwen's 400m medley swim is that the freestyle leg was disproportionately fast when compared to individual 100m freestyle times relative to the other legs. I read a write up that suggested if she had the energy to put in a massively quick final leg she must necessarily have paced herself poorly and could go 2-3 seconds quicker overall by pushing harder in the other legs. Which really would be in WTF territory.