Orange 5 Swingarm alignment

LAUNCH69
LAUNCH69 Posts: 119
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
I have recently got a 2006/07 Five frame from the classifieds.
On closer inspection the swingarm, when viewed from behind, is over to one side of the seat tube.
A friend of mine has manged to sort of centre it using spacers on the pivot, but now it is quite close to one side of the pivot. I am concerned that with a little shifting it could end up fouling the frame. Should the swingarm be dead centre, or is it ok to be slightly off?
Any advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Si
Photo's are here - please excuse the crap photography . . .

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... _edwards1/
Specialized Rockhopper

Bike is still better than the rider . . .

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    IMGP1926.jpg

That looks well off, I'd get a dealer to check frame alignment.
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks Sonic,
    I have emailed the pictures to Orange.
    Do you reckon it may be salvagable?
    This frame sort of wiped out my cash reserves. Lesson learned - don't buy when you have not seem something in the flesh . .
    Specialized Rockhopper

• That looks a bit sketchy. I'd ask for your money back if pos. Iv got a 5 and iv never had any problems with the alignment. It's a simple design bung the bearings and bolts in and go pretty much. It looks like its warped or bent. I'd take the swing arm off and look for dents around the mounts on the frame and see if the swing arm stands level on the floor. This should let you know if its been bent. fif it's the swing arm that mullered you get a replacement from orange. But they a bit hefty on the costs. Or it could be the bearings that are shot but don't think that would cause it to be so out of line. Hope this helps.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • LAUNCH69
    Thanks Adam, I will have a look at the things you mentioned.
    Specialized Rockhopper

• No worries dude let me know how you get on.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    Or has someone replaced the bearings and not aligned the swingarm in the middle of the frame.
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    BigStu2 wrote:
    Or has someone replaced the bearings and not aligned the swingarm in the middle of the frame.

+1

Look at the fifth and sixth photos, then again picture one makes it look twisted.

http://s1136.photobucket.com/albums/n48 ... _edwards1/
  • LAUNCH69
    I sent the photos to Orange and they said to take it to a dealer to check. They said that if the frame was bent then they could try to fix it but that old frames were prone to snapping . . .
    I have got in contact with the seller and he has been great. He said that he will finance the repairs or give a full refund - my faith in humanity is restored!
    I have had Mountain High Cycles recommended to me by a friend - I will be popping in there tomorrow to get a verdict on the frame. If it is knackered then I will get a refund and buy a new BFe - at least you can weld steel ;) Also I need a frame that can take the Revelations that I have ordered.
    Thanks for all your help,
    Si
    Specialized Rockhopper

• Could just be a Friday job by Orange... :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    LAUNCH69 wrote:
    at least you can weld steel ;)
    How does that help anything exactly?
  • LAUNCH69
    Well If I crash (I do this alot) and damage the frame, It may be easier to salvage the frame than an alu one.
    That is my version of logic anyway . . .
    Also this has kind of put me off 2nd hand, a new frame that I can afford appeals to me - If the Five is a write off.
    Specialized Rockhopper

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Not many steel full suss bikes about mind!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    and the chances of mending a properly broken steel frame (realistically) is only slightly higher than the chances of fixing a properly broken aluminium one.
  • LAUNCH69
    True,
    This 5 was my first ever attempt at getting a full sus - I thought it would be ideal for the Lakes. If the frame is no good, I need a decent replacement that I can afford. I started a thread on hardtail advice and it came down to c456 or BFe - The Cotic is actually cheaper at the mo, and the available colour schemes on the c456 are horrible(IMO).

I think I am wandering off subject a bit. Just going to keep my fingers crossed that the 5 is fine and that it was all me being a silly tw*t.
    Specialized Rockhopper

• YeehaaMcgee
    you want an affordable frame, so you thought of Orange? They're one of the priciest (over-priced) frame out there!
  • LAUNCH69
    No,
    I just saw this used one in the classifieds for the sameish price of the hardtails I was looking at.
    Specialized Rockhopper

• YeehaaMcgee
    Oh, I see!
  • LAUNCH69
    Well just got back from the dealer.
    Swingarm is definitely not the shape it should be.
    As I said before,the seller has been brilliant - so I am sending the Five back and getting a refund.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Si
    Specialized Rockhopper

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    LAUNCH69 wrote:

well, you know, when you're out in the woods, on your bike, with your welding gear in the rucksack...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IMGP1931.jpg

someone has been playing with the big tools and over done it by the looks of it.

how else can you explain that lack of paint?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • YeehaaMcgee
    LAUNCH69 wrote:

well, you know, when you're out in the woods, on your bike, with your welding gear in the rucksack...
    Well, yeah, there is that I guess. Fair point.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    To the OP, your old hardtail thread is now locked, but if you're in the market for a hardtail now, check out the Stanton Slackline - was one of the very few hardtails that made the Top 100 in DIRT (their annual 100 best bikes/components rag) and I know MBUK have had one on test fairly recently because their test rig was being sold a month or so ago, so there might be a review before too long on there.

They're £400 for the frame and they're tops - as aggro as you want it to be, looks good, decent weight and you can build it up how you want. They're super helpful if you want to talk to them about anything too - just contact Dan!

Oh, and they're steel too if you still want to practise your welding... :wink:

edit... found a First Look here http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/video-stanton-slackline-853-first-look-33441/