replacement tyres

ant100
ant100 Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Can anyone advise my tyres on my cannondale SL3 are rapid rob 2.1 x 26"
I am thinking of changing them as I find them quit slippery on rocky bits
also I notice that they are described as wire rimmed can I replace them with folding what would be the advantage or disadvantage. mostly ride forest trails and roads with some quite gooey single tracks.

Comments

• Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Yep, you can fit folding tyres (kevlar as opposed to steel bead). They are lighter and come in better compounds.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    It tends to be that the wider the tyre and the deeper the tread, the better traction you will have. However that is fairly general as it depends on what compound they are, what terrain you are riding, whether its wet/dry etc. No tyre is 10/10 in every type of condition as each one has its strengths and weaknesses.

You could try lowering your tyre pressures a little as that will increase you traction a fair amount, even just 3-4 psi lower wil make a difference. You can often go lower than what the side wall suggests. The more volume a tyre can hold, the lower pressure it can ride at without getting pinch flats.

You could maybe try a 2.2/2.3/2.35" width with a deeper tread that the Rapid Robs. You could also go for a tyre with less TPI (threads per inch). A standard tyre will be around the 60 tpi mark. However you can get Maxxis tyres that have 42a tpi compounds that give you more grip due to them being more felxible, however they will wear quicker than a regular tyre.

Hope that helps.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    oxocube1 wrote:
    You could maybe try a 2.2/2.3/2.35" width with a deeper tread that the Rapid Robs. You could also go for a tyre with less TPI (threads per inch). A standard tyre will be around the 60 tpi mark. However you can get Maxxis tyres that have 42a tpi compounds that give you more grip due to them being more felxible, however they will wear quicker than a regular tyre.

Are you mixing up tpi and rubber compounds? 42a refers to the durometer rating of the rubber, and you're right, it is generally grippier and more flexible but feels much draggier and wears faster. In terms of tpi, the higher the better usually. Low tpi means thicker, stiffer threads have been used and the tyre is therefore less supple giving a little less traction and comfort. Tyres with high tpi can also be a little more fragile though.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Are you mixing up tpi and rubber compounds?

I did indeed sir. I've just read what i wrote and realised my error haha!
  • ant100
    ant100 Posts: 9
    cheers for all advice