bent skewer

adamgraves2009
adamgraves2009 Posts: 31
edited August 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I keep bending the threaded end of my rear skewer. It's a std 6mm skewer was wondering if there is anything more durable. I have a orange 5 and abuse it on a regular basis. Thought about a new swing arm to take a maxel but costs way to much. Would I be able to use a 10mm skewer with the standard drop outs? Have a doubt and don't want to waste money so thought I'd ask lol thanks
Specialized big hit pro
Orange 5

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're just bending the QR and not the axel?
  • Yeah but it's making the swerve sit wrong in the drop out. And don't want to damage the drop out.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I don't see how that is possible. Perhaps let us see a picture?
  • It won't let me upload the pic. The bend is occurring at the base of the threads. I cannot see anything that could cause it but it keeps happening. This is the 4th q/r iv had this year. Not been skimping either.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like the dropouts and/or axle are bent. You need to check other stuff.
  • The drop outs re fine and the axle is too iv taken it out and checked. I don't know what is causing it. But it's doing my nut in. I'll pic the drop outs but I think they look straight. Not had any dings or bumps.
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Like sonic says, something must be bent. The skewer doesn;t actually take any load when the wheel is in the frame, is just clamps the frame onto the hub.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I assume the axle is centred and sitting in the dropouts and you're not riding on the skewer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not sure if that actually makes sense but...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Total sense, to clarify though, the axle should be centred in the hub so you have an equal length of axle visable each end, the axle sits in the dropout and takes all the load, the skewer should only stop the axle (and hence wheel) falling out, so other than it's tension load (pinching dropouts onto locknuts or similar) it should never see more sideways/bending load than the weight of the rear wheel (less than 3Kg and not enough to bend it) if it's being bent something of the above is wrong (axle not centered or not put into dropout correctly).

Having seen the Guy Martin Orange build video, maybe the dropouts are too wide apart and the axle not seating correctly?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The axle is pretty much centered. With equal amounts on either side of the cones. When I put the wheel back in the axle sits in both drop outs. There is no visible contact with the qr and the frame. Other than the locking nuts on the outside. The axle is straight and the dropouts are straight. I cannot find any reason why itis bending the skewer. The rear hub is convertible to a 10mm axle would this be a better option?
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    How tight is the skewer. Something must be wrong somewhere - if all is straight, then there's no way it can bend when tightened up.

On another note, I once bent my skewer in a girl called Hope, who was pretty orange. I went to see a doctor who prescribed a bit of rest. Dunno if that's helpful.
  • The skewer is hand tight. Lmfao will be weary of orange girls called hope in the future very useful tip lol

Ihad the frame powdercoated at the beginning of the year could that be an issue. (Clutching at straws now lol)
    Specialized big hit pro
    Orange 5
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, it could be. If the coating has caused any unevenness on the outer side of the dropout, then the skewer head could be forced to a funny angle when it's done up tight.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Enough for an obvious bend? Unlikely I would have thought.

Something isn't right and its not the skewer!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Have you tried putting a 10mm bolt or piece of straight wooden dowel in the dropouts just to check everything is square. You can get blobs of powdercoat and its tough stuff try using a new scalpel blade and carefully peel off the coat so the axles and axle nuts sit metal to metal.

Is the frame twisted though I cant see why that would affect skewers. The way to check for a bent frame is to run a length of string from one dropout up round headtube back to other dropout and to check the frame is evenly spaced from the string at various points. Dont worry if its a few mm out no frame is perfectly straight but you shouldnt have say the seat tube touching the string one side and a big gap the other side.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap