Avid BB5 discs

Dellsinho
Dellsinho Posts: 100
edited August 2012 in The workshop
Hi all

Long time lurker, short time member, break me in gently.

I have struggled a bit with these brakes since buying a month ago (attached to a Boardman Hybrid Comp), initially the rubbing "bedding in" period, sorted now, and have adjusted as bedding occured, but one thing I have noticed; there is a fair bit of flex on the front disk when I apply the front brake. I fear the disk may start to warp with regular use, am I over-concerned or is it problem?
I can't see where the play in the mounting bolts will come from for the caliper set to move so that the rotor sits centrally - basically it's too far away from the static pad. Any Ideas where I need to make the adjustments?

Any help or experience would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Canyon Roadlite
Boardman Hybrid
Dolan FXE

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You need to wind in the static pad (on the non drive side) until it just clears the rotor.

Essentially with the bb5, you have a moving pad and a stationary one, the stationary ones needs to be close to the rotor to avoid flexing it and to give a better brake response. There is a big red dial with a 4mm IIRC allen key in the centre, turn it in the direction marked in until it just clears the rotor as it spins.
  • Dellsinho
    Thanks a lot for your reply r_w.

I'll have a little tinker with them before the commute home, they seem pretty fiddly brakes that need constant adjustments (This is the first time I've had discs) for example after removing and replacing the wheel etc and i've noticed the configuration changes a fair bit depending on how loose/tight the QR is done up. I assume this is the nature of disc brakes?

Thanks again for your help.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I have BB7s and they were a bit fiddly to set-up at first but have been fine once I got it right. I suspect you just need to get the calliper alignment right.

Good looking method here:

http://www.ecovelo.info/2011/04/15/a-fo ... sc-brakes/
  • Dellsinho
    Thanks for your reply Godders.
    I've found similar methods online, but none with as superior pictures as that link, thanks!

I seem to struggle getting a business card in between the pad and the rotor, it takes quite a bit of wiggling of the caliper to get it in. Then even when completing this method there is still some rubbing coming from the front disc (not from the adjustable pad side of things).

I'm determined not to let this be the death of me.
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE