Friday thread - reclining air seats

jds_1981
jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
edited August 2012 in Commuting chat
Always seems to get people hot under the collar. I'm an unashamed recliner. I'll normally recline & always will do if I try to sleep, else I'll spend a day with a painful neck.
I believe many people get annoyed because they view the space in front of them between the person in fronts most reclined location and full upright location is theirs when clearly it isn't.

Where do you stand?
FCN 9 || FCN 5

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I'm a recliner, as soon as I can.

If they didnt want me to recline they would make it so.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I did my dissertation on the subject! (seriously)

I put forward to design of seat mechanism that moved the base forward as the back reclined. That way, the only person you are inconveniencing is yourself.

As a loftier gentleman, i find the person infront jamming their seat onto my knees/headrest into my nose, 5 minutes into a 14hr flight to be rather grating.
  • jds_1981
    The top doesn't move that far back & the base can't move more than a few cms. If you're of such proportions I presume you also pull the magazines out of the seat back?
    Perhaps they should make a location you can pay for that gives you a bit more leg room?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    jds_1981 wrote:
    The top doesn't move that far back & the base can't move more than a few cms. If you're of such proportions I presume you also pull the magazines out of the seat back?
    Perhaps they should make a location you can pay for that gives you a bit more leg room?

One of the VERY best things about working for an airline was that they always gave staff the over-wings exit seats... the ones with the huge legroom. Every time I flew I always got these ones - and stretch...

Well, I say the very best... the ID90s were pretty good as well. 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I only travel business class. :D

Nah seriously, recline if you want to ,its what is there for, but when food or drinks are served I normally crank it back up to somewhere between stright and halfway reclined as it impossible to eat behind a fully reclined seat.

I have been known to ask the person in front to straighten up a bit during meal service, if they decline I make sure I knock their seatback every 2 minutes with an exaggerated sorry until they get the message or a fight starts.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Don't see what the big issue is. Last time I flew, everyone just drank their champagne, reclined the seats to horizontal and then slept until the flight attendants brought breakfast round :-)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    rhext wrote:
    Don't see what the big issue is. Last time I flew, everyone just drank their champagne, reclined the seats to horizontal and then slept until the flight attendants brought breakfast round :-)

:lol:

Where i can, i check-in online as early as possible to try and get the exit-row seats. I usually take it on the chin if i miss-out, but can blow a fuse if i see children/small people in those seats, luxuriating in their ample fart-filled space. :evil:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    With 34" inside legs, the mere thought of the person in front reclining is painful. Even fully upright, more often than not my knees are jabbed a fair way into the seat in front (or the magazine holders into my knees).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    If I see the person in front trying to recline I generally push forwards with my arms so they cannot - they soon give up thinking the mechanism is broken!! :)

Then I'll recline myself. ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Don't see why they have them tbh.

Somewhere down the line someone's losing out on space.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I do it when I can, but I wouldn't recline onto the person behind unless they are reclined.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I can't stand the "must recline NOW cos the seatbelt light's gone out" people.
    I sit and kick the back of their seats for the rest of the flight :twisted:
    Misguided Idealist
  • jds_1981
    I can't stand the "must recline NOW cos the seatbelt light's gone out" people.
    I sit and kick the back of their seats for the rest of the flight :twisted:

Someone tried doing something to the back of my seat once when I reclined. They got bored after about 5 minutes. No persistence.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I may choose to recline my seat after dinner, but while others are eating or trying to work it's just inconsiderate. I've had to lever the offending seat off my laptop screen more than once - the screen was what was preventing them reclining further, and isn't really designed to take that sort of load !
    Misguided Idealist
  • With 34" inside legs, the mere thought of the person in front reclining is painful. Even fully upright, more often than not my knees are jabbed a fair way into the seat in front (or the magazine holders into my knees).

ha snap! I end up standing/walking on flights etc.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    When my son was small and was required to sit on my lap during the flight, the girl in front, having chosen her seat after me (easyjet cattle class) and knowing full well there was a parent and child behind, immediately reclined her seat when the seatbelts lights went off. I understand she has a right to use the facility, but with a little common sense she could've picked a different seat, or at least realise she was leaving me and my son very little room by moving her seat back. I could've asked politely but I was already cranky from getting to the airport and the girl's inconsideration annoyed me even more, so I knee'd the back of her seat (a bit harder than I intended admittedly) and made her whole seat jolt, then loudly chastised my son to sit still. The girl turned round and said "do you need a little more room?" and pushed her seatback up :mrgreen:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Massive personal bugbear as I fly a lot.

IMO

1) On shorthaul (where generally 70% are on business and need to work) the option to recline should not be present except on night flights.
    2) On longhaul don't even fcuking THINK of reclining before the lights are out.
    3) In fact you should not be permitted to recline unless the cabin lights are out full stop.

And don't even get me started on fucktards that sneak everything into carry on baggage and make life hideous for those of us who understand that waiting ten minutes for a carousel to give us our bags back from the hold means tha A) we don't dress like tramps for the week, and B) Every right minded person doesn't think we are a total cnut as we ram our bag into the overhead locker with a flurry of rabbit punches and shoulder drives crushing my neatly folded jacket and small laptop bag (breaking the Oakleys in my jacket)

+1 for exit rows though!

However I have to say that 85% of the time I fly business and pay economy. The secret will be published in my will.

And lastly, if you fly Ryanair or Sleazyjet then suck it up. Your fault for being cheap (or working for a cheap company). You knew what you were getting when you paid for the ticket.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    SimonAH wrote:
    ...rant...

However I have to say that 85% of the time I fly business and pay economy. The secret will be published in my will.

...other bit of rant...

Suit and a smile. Everyone who works for an airline knows this :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hee! Almost Keiran (and sorry for the ranting, but it really gets me by the snoot).
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    rhext wrote:
    Yeah. What's this "person behind" business ? Is that the flight attendant ?

Then, on one flight to LAX, I think I walked about ten miles round the cabin.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    With 34" inside legs, the mere thought of the person in front reclining is painful. Even fully upright, more often than not my knees are jabbed a fair way into the seat in front (or the magazine holders into my knees).

ha snap! I end up standing/walking on flights etc.

Totally. On the plus side on a decent airline you end up often treated like royalty by the cabin crew (provided you have a smile and a sense of humour!).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?